Default Great. Dented a Parked Car, Less Than a Year After a Not-At-Fault Accident

My question involves a collision that occurred in the state of: California

Okay. Well, I have never caused an accident before but today I did, causing a small dent in the door of a parked car when I
    was backing up. The car already had prior damage, a 2006 Lexus.

However: even though the dent was small, it also looked like somehow there was a tiny puncture and I'm not sure how that
    happened.

I was in the middle of leaving a note for the owner of the car when he came out of the house, we immediately reported claim to insurance
    companies and now I realize that this is probably going to damage my record more than I first thought. I have Geico, they said
    they'd pay for damages to other car.

I thought I was required by law to file a claim with my insurance company and let them pay for it, but then somebody told me the choice
    was mine and I could have told the owner of the car that I was going to pay out of pocket (also for rental car).

I didn't even ask him about paying for the damage out of pocket. Last year I was rear-ended in an accident
    that was clearly determined not to be my fault.

In ten years I have not even gotten a ticket and now I am going to have two accidents on my record, I would have much preferred to just
    pay out of pocket instead of messing up my record. My rates are most likely going to go up much more than it would to just pay for damage
    directly.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Great. Dented a Parked Car, Less Than a Year After a Not-At-Fault Accident

I had GEICO in 2010 when I backed into a car. GEICO paid about $1300 to the other driver and my next renewal premium increased by about 70%.

I was able to find another insurance company that saved me about $50 per year off the GEICO rates. Wasn't much but I wasn't going to pay the scum at GEICO that kind of increase.

Good luck to you.

And, no, you could have paid it out of your own pocket but what often happens is that the other drivers knows you don't want insurance involved so they hand you a bill for a thousand or two and if you balk they just call your insurance company and get paid and you get surcharged.

Default Re: Great. Dented a Parked Car, Less Than a Year After a Not-At-Fault Accident

Thanks adjusterjack, you helped me with my situation last year, too.

The thing is that with Geico I easily got two million dollars in umbrella insurance. Last year, when reading all the threads on here, I realized I must get umbrella
    insurance and this has given me peace of mind ever since and so I might be stuck with Geico. When it came to umbrella insurance, they
    offered the best deal by far - even though the customer service was mostly terrible.

Just now, I called them to see if it was too late to offer to pay out-of-pocket and they said no, but that sometimes this leads to problems and that
    my premium won't necessarily go up because of one minor incident (personal stories on the internet say otherwise).

The adjuster seemed genuinely helpful (of course who knows what they are told to say). He also said that the claim will be closed if I pay out
    of pocket but it will still stay documented. So it sounds like my premium could go up regardless, at the same time that it might not.

He also said that it would be up to Geico to call up the person whose car I hit and see if it's okay with them that I pay out of pocket, and that if they say yes he urged me to get a letter from them in writing stating they agree to certain terms to avoid problems in the future.

Is this all true? Basically, Geico will almost certainly profit from this incident, and it's already on record. Glad it wasn't worse though.

The adjuster has no control over what GEICO's company policy is.

Even if the claim is closed without payment, it's still on your insurance record and will affect your rates somewhat even if there is no big surcharge for the accident itself.

All you can do is wait and see what your next renewal premium looks like.

And check your CLUE report, too. It's free.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...7CEDC5B0B93A27

1. Sponsored Links