Default Property Division With Real Property in Two States

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Wisconsin
    We live in WI. My spouse received an inheritance in MN which was later used to develop a rental asset in MN. My spouse is the only signatory for the asset, which is an addition to our marital assets since the time the inheritance was received. The value of the asset went from a bare lot valued at about 40,000 to a rental asset worth close to 2 million. I am not looking for a "windfall" but the value could be taken into consideration in combination with our WI property. Is that rental asset marital property?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Property Division Within Two States

Quote Quoting LotOwner67
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of: Wisconsin
    We live in WI. My spouse received an inheritance in MN which was later used to develop a rental asset in MN. My spouse is the only signatory for the asset, which is an addition to our marital assets since the time the inheritance was received. The value of the asset went from a bare lot valued at about 40,000 to a rental asset worth close to 2 million. I am not looking for a "windfall" but the value could be taken into consideration in combination with our WI property. Is that rental asset marital property?
    Thank you.
    Unless you can demonstrate that marital funds went into the property, no its not marital property. An inheritance is separate property unless it get comingled with marital property.

1. Sponsored Links