Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default "Squealing Tires" Traffic Citation

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington State

I got pulled over and cited for not wearing a seatbelt and squealing tires. The pavement was wet because it was raining all day. I have a vehicle with traction control, a 2004 Infiniti m45 which keeps the tires from any issues such as spinning tires.

The main thing here is Im pretty sure I can't get any tickets because I am enrolled in the relicensing program in which I pay PAR Acceptance a monthly payment to lay off old ticket debts and keep my license.

I haven't got in any trouble at all until now. Also i have everything legal, insurance, license, registration, etc.

PLEASE HELP ME

Also these were "traffic citations" not criminal

Default Re: "Squealing Tires" Traffic Citation

You're "pretty sure" you can't get tickets yet you got two - so apparently you CAN get tickets.

So if you have traction control what happened to cause you to get the ticket for the tires?

If you have an issue with your license and these tickets are a concern then maybe you should be speaking to an attorney, not an online forum.

. I have a vehicle with traction control, a 2004 Infiniti m45 which keeps the tires from any issues such as spinning tires.
    to win on such a claim you would have to prove (by testimony of an expert witness or a statement by the manufacture that can be validated as an official statement by the manufacturer) that your vehicles traction control system would prevent all wheel spin and that your traction control system was functioning properly and you had not disengaged the system.

In other words; unless a judge wants to give you the benefit of the doubt, you can’t win this on a technical defense.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    You're "pretty sure" you can't get tickets yet you got two - so apparently you CAN get tickets.
    i suspect op means he is not allowed to receive any tickets and remain in the program listed.

If your citation is WAC 173-62-030(3), it prohibits explicitly the sound (squealing or screeching), not the tires from spinning. So your sworn testimony that there was in fact no squealing and that your car is equipped with traction control that is designed to prevent wheel spinning, along with the claim of wet pavement, which will hopefully be corroborated by the officer's testimony, should carry enough weight to get you off that charge. Given that the traction control need not "prevent all spin", just enough so that there is no squealing noise, you have a good chance, IMO. Provide some documentation reg. your car having said traction control system... I don't think you need "expert witness statements." As for the seat belt, I see little hope in avoiding that charge. Good luck.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    which will hopefully be corroborated by the officer's testimony,
    The officer is not present in WA traffic matters unless subpoenaed. Only their statement is used.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    I don't think you need "expert witness statements."
    Unless OP is an expert on all the inner workings and functions of the system, their testimony is not worth anything with regard to how the system works. Further, they would need an independent evaluation to determine if the system was working properly at the time since it's not unheard of for something to not work right on a car.

It doesn't take an "expert" to know that breaking traction on a wet surface does not emit a screeching or squealing sound as the law specifically states. It barely makes much noise at all.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    If your citation is WAC 173-62-030(3), it prohibits explicitly the sound (squealing or screeching), not the tires from spinning. So your sworn testimony that there was in fact no squealing and that your car is equipped with traction control that is designed to prevent wheel spinning, along with the claim of wet pavement, which will hopefully be corroborated by the officer's testimony, should carry enough weight to get you off that charge. Given that the traction control need not "prevent all spin", just enough so that there is no squealing noise, you have a good chance, IMO. Provide some documentation reg. your car having said traction control system... I don't think you need "expert witness statements." As for the seat belt, I see little hope in avoiding that charge. Good luck.
    I have yet to find a car where traction control, when working properly, prevented all wheel spin. It is reactive, not proactive so it does not engage until there is an unwanted action taking place.

Regardless of that, who would you suggest testify the traction control system on 2004 Infiniti m45 would prevent all wheel spin? The op is not qualified to do so.

but just as important; how does op prove the traction control system had not been turned off? Obviously op would claim it wasn’t turned off but given his argument, admitting he had turned it off would obviously lose his case.

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    It doesn't take an "expert" to know that breaking traction on a wet surface does not emit a screeching or squealing sound as the law specifically states. It barely makes much noise at all.

3) No person shall operate a motor vehicle in such a manner as to cause or allow to be emitted squealing, screeching or other such noise from the tires in contact with the ground because of rapid acceleration or excessive speed around corners or other such re
    it barely makes any noise...

would that fall under “or other such noise from the tires in contact with the ground because of rapid acceleration maybe? Ya see, it is not limited to squealing or screeching.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    it barely makes any noise...

would that fall under or other such noise from the tires in contact with the ground because of rapid acceleration maybe? Ya see, it is not limited to squealing or screeching.

Or an 'other such noise' that is similar to squealing or screeching.

Spinning wet tires on pavement does not resemble that high pitch noise whatsoever. Therefore it is NOT an 'other such noise.'

He got written up for the wrong code. He was written up for a noise violation, not reckless driving or exhibition of speed.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

Regardless of that, who would you suggest testify the traction control system on 2004 Infiniti m45 would prevent all wheel spin? The op is not qualified to do so.
    I've said it before, but I guess once is not enough for you: spinning wheels are not illegal as per this code section, only the screeching, squealing and such are. A reasonable judge will realize tires don't squeal on a wet pavement; everything else suggested as defense is just a bonus.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    I've said it before, but I guess once is not enough for you: spinning wheels are not illegal as per this code section, only the screeching, squealing and such are. A reasonable judge will realize tires don't squeal on a wet pavement; everything else suggested as defense is just a bonus.
    Can we figure out what he was cited with before we get in an argument that does not apply?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast