Default Does Child Support Resume if a Child Re-Enrolls in High School

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

Support order states, "Support shall be paid until the children reach 18 or as long as the children remain enrolled in high school, whichever comes last."

This question is regarding my stepchild. Before you all start telling me to go away because I am just a stepmom, please hear me out. I have been part of this equation for over 10 years, seen more legal fights than most of you, and been severely impacted financially.

Nineteen year old dropped out of school in February. (She will turn 20 in a few months.) Prior to that she had been attending an alternative high school. She's a good kid, but school isn't her strong suit, and the mom doesn't make her attend.

Support enforcement contacted the school, verified the kid was no longer enrolled, and then notified both parties that support was ending at the end of February. There is a 60 day window in which to contest the decision.

On day 45 of the 60 day window the kid has suddenly decided to re-enroll, and we are just waiting for the paperwork for the mom is contesting the decision to end support.

Would support be re-instated in this situation? Will we owe back support for the couple months where we thought it had ended?

Default Re: On Again Off Again in High School

I don't think you can accurately say you have seen more legal fights than anyone on here...just saying.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but your husband needs to be the one asking questions and talking to lawyers. I was a stepmom - I've been there.

Your husband needs to find a family law attorney and at least find one who does a free consultation and get some solid advice.

Default Re: On Again Off Again in High School

Thanks for the feedback, and fair enough on the legal fights. Just seen more than once when a step-parent got blasted for asking a financial legal question.

With support enforcement involved, they have an arbitration process in which this goes to their magistrate for a telephone hearing between all parties. It tends to be a lower profile method than a physical court hearing, which also makes it cheaper. Hoping that will help us.

Just not sure what happens if the kid quits school, and then re-enrolls like this. From what we understand, she is only taking a PE class. It feels like this is just an effort to keep the child support going. Technically she could just keep doing this for years, if the magistrate allows it.

1. Sponsored Links