Default Is it Legal to Tint a Vehicle's Windshield

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California.

I called an officer and he said you can tint the windows as dark as you want in the back however in the front it must be clear.

My question is if I put a very light tint in the front can it still pass by. He kept saying clear so is their a type of clear tint?

Default Re: Tinting Windows

Forget about what you learned on the phone.

Read the following web page and follow the rules. Click for the actual statute.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26708.

Get your windows professionally tinted, get your certificate, keep a copy in your permanent file and in the car.

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post
    My question is if I put a very light tint in the front can it still pass by. He kept saying clear so is their a type of clear tint?
    VC Sec. 26708(a)(1): "A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

There are three exceptions:

Quote Quoting VC Sec. 26708
    (c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point five inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The wndow glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS–14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

(e) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the windshield, side, or rear windows of a motor vehicle if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS–14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by a licensed dermatologist certifying that the person should not be exposed to ultraviolet rays because of a medical condition that necessitates clear, colorless, and transparent film material to be installed on the windshield, side, or rear windows.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Thanks guys I actually called local CHP office and the CHP said in the back they can be as dark as I want them however no tinting in the front and this is coming from a CHP. Thanks again though for the info.

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post
    Thanks guys I actually called local CHP office and the CHP said in the back they can be as dark as I want them however no tinting in the front and this is coming from a CHP. Thanks again though for the info.
    The law is the law, even if the CHP tells you something else.

1. Sponsored Links