Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can COBRA Health Insurance Coverage be Canceled Without Warning

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Missouri.

I signed up for and paid first premium for COBRA insurance and forgot about it. Everything was fine I got EOB etc and then I got a cancellation notice without any warning.

Is this legal? I have been off work on work Comp since 11/10/17 and still am, I have had so much going on I totally forgot that I had to make a insurance payment.

Default Re: Cobra

It's incumbent on you to make the payments. Yes, these providers will often drop you in a heartbeat if you step outside the rules. If you are not more than 30 days late on the payment, you can get the benefits reinstated if you make a full payment. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Well that’s about what I figured thanks. I just can’t believe that they are not required to give notice of any kind that it is due or coming due. Termination date was 2/28/18 received letter of termination 4/7/18. I don’t know what to do now as my wife has many medical issues as well as myself. Thanks for the information

Were you not receiving bills for the premiums? When I had to use COBRA, I got physical bills and email reminders when the due date was coming up.

I never got a bill, letter, email, phone call nothing from them. I signed up online and paid my first payment on there and I had a battle getting that information over the phone after waiting a month and more for the package that was supposed to be coming.

Whether you want to believe it or not, you are told when the COBRA first begins when your payments are due. It is then up to you to see that they are made - it's no one else's responsibility to remind you. Some places will do so as a courtesy but they are not required to; it's up to you to take responsibility for your own payments.

I just got off the phone with them and they said that they sent a letter. I honestly never received it. I don’t know what to do with that, I just wrote a letter of Appeal and emailed it hoping for the best and thanks for the advice

This may or may nit help you in the future with your mail. Many areas now have Informed Delivery. The post office emails you a picture of the front of each piece of mail. You should receive that mail that day. Or within a,week. I know five people that received pictures of mail they didn't receive. They knew from the senders if it might be important. They were able to call and find out if it was important. Even though they didn't receive it. This feature saved two of these people money because deadlines were not missed. You can go to the United States Postal Service website and put Informed Delivery in their search bar to find out if it is available in your area.

If your appeal is based on "I didn't get the letter" you may well be out of luck since they're not required to send you a letter in the first place. Rest assured, if you are reinstated it will be out of the goodness of the administrator's heart and not because you have any legal grounds for reinstatement.

Well I was denied just as everyone has said. Appeal said I was canceled correctly etc. I signed up for market place before my 60 days were up and got a really good deal.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast