Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Be Locked Out of a Storage Unit Without Being Evicted

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: california.

Moved into 10x10 2nd story storage unit on Feb 8th 2018 and paid first month and got second month for free. On March 18th I was told I received a eviction notice for " on property after hours too many times after being warned & complaints from other tenants. as well as a variety of other factors". I did not receive this notice but was told I believe on the 22nd of March by the husband manager. It's the husband and wife managers who live on property that have a problem with me for some reason. Anyway the notice I guess says that I am to be out by April 1st however I am paid till April 8th so today April 6th I come to my unit and my lock is no longer on my unit but two of their locks are on the unit. My question is what legal grounds do they have to lock me out of my unit and go in to my unit and cut my lock off when I am paid up until the 8th which is not for two more days? And what should I do now that all this has happened?

Thank you guys so very much for your help on this matter I'm sorry for any of my grammar that is not correct I'm a little worked up at the moment.

Any help? Or am I in the right thread?

Default Re: Storage Unit Eviction when I Wasn't Aware

The title states "moved in", and you further state that the notice is for "on property after hours too many times...". Were you just storing things there and working many times after hours, or did you actually move in and attempt to live there?

I worked on my bicycle and 2 times was late past 9pm. Once the second day which they made sure to tell me at 9:03pm and then last time was on day light savings. That's it so I don't think they can lock me out when I'm still paid

What should I say to them to be able to get my stuff back all I want to do is get my stuff and get out

What does your contract say about a lock-out?

I can almost guarantee that your lease bars you "working" in the locker. It's purely for storage.

California storage unit law is here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=10.&article=

I'd show up with a vehicle sufficient to carry the contents of your locker during the next business hours and demand your stuff.

Quote Quoting jimnyc
    View Post
    The title states "moved in", and you further state that the notice is for "on property after hours too many times...". Were you just storing things there and working many times after hours, or did you actually move in and attempt to live there?
    Good question.

His other post indicates that he's been homeless for a while because of an auto accident.

https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228635

Not homeless anymore but when I was in never stayed in my unit. I'm 6'2"and my unit is filled just to clarify. As for the working on my bike I wasn't aware of that bit when they questions me ĺmamagers) I opted for a different unit on ground level Street side that would better suited me and then next day I got the eviction notice

Also is it right that they cut my lock off and put 2 of there locks on. Why is it necessary for them to cut my lock off and get into my storage unit and then replace with two of their locks not just the one but two. Thank you again guys for your help and she just to clarify I was homeless for a short period of time but I never stayed in my storage unit.

You are paid up until tomorrow so I suggest you get a truck and get over there today and see about getting them to open the unit and let you get your stuff. You should have done that already. After tomorrow they can probably sell your stuff as abandoned.

So just went to get my stuff and she said it's no longer my stuff and it belongs to them and so I tried my hardest and stayed calm and asked if there's some way to get my stuff she said that she would have to talk to my manager and took my phone number down

Quote Quoting California Business & Professions Code, Sec. 21702
    The owner of a self-service storage facility and his or her heirs, executors, administrators, successors, and assigns have a lien upon all personal property located at a self-service storage facility for rent, labor, late payment fees, or other charges, present or future, incurred pursuant to the rental agreement and for expenses necessary for the preservation, sale, or disposition of personal property subject to the provisions of this chapter. The lien may be enforced consistent with the provisions in this chapter.
    If your rent was current, what basis do they believe that they have to assert any sort of lien? Further, if they have a lien, they have to provide you with notice of a lien sale and an opportunity to pay off the lien.

If you want to recover your property, time isn't on your side. You can see if you can get a civil assist from the local police, or consider promptly filing a lawsuit that demands the return of your property. I don't know that this outfit is going to follow proper procedure for a lien sale.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast