Default Allowing a Small Child to Ride in a Front Seat

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Ohio

My daughter told me last night when I picked her up from daycare that "Dad is so cool because he lets me ride in the front seat because there is too much stuff in the back seat." She is 6 years old and 53lbs. I am sure he still uses the booster in the front seat.

I have been doing some research about this, because I was under the impression that kids were not allowed to sit in the front seat period if a back seat is available. But I can't find a specific law that would prohibit this or considers it an offense. I just find recommendations by the CDC and tons of blogs with opinions, but no stated laws. Does having too much junk in the back deem it to be unavailable? Also, does this vary state to state or county to county? For instance, he has indicated they would be going camping in SC this summer. I am worried she will be in the front seat while traveling thru all those states between if the camping gear is taking up the room in the back.

Things are finally starting to even out between us, but I would like to let him know how unsafe it is and if there is a specific law that he is breaking, he is more apt to listen to me. If I don't have any evidence, he will keep her in the front seat from now on even if the back was pristine just to spite me, so it is a fine and delicate line I have to walk.

Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Allowing a Small Child to Ride in a Front Seat

Based on the link posted above, he is not doing anything wrong in Ohio.

Seatbelt and child restraint laws do vary from state to state. You would need to research them for any state he will be travelling though to determine if there may be issues there.

Thank you both! I appreciate it. I did see that link last night when I was doing my research and assumed that was the answer, but it didn't specifically mention front seat like some of the other states did so I wasn't sure if I was missing something. Thank you both for your time.

Most states don't proscribe kids have to ride in the back seat, and there is really no significant safety issue for them to be in front, with the exception of rear-facing infant seats, which have to be in the back due to air bags. Assuming your ex makes her strap in and sit on the booster seat, leave it alone.

1. Sponsored Links