Default Contacted for Personal Information Regarding an Alleged Accident

I just got a surprise letter from my local police department - a detective indicating that I was involved in an "accident" and asking for all kinds of personal info - drivers license, social security number, insurance company, employer, etc.

I was NOT involved in an accident. Do I still need to provide all this confidential information - and wouldn't they already have most of it on record ? - for instance, drivers license number.

How should I respond ? I feel like I am being hacked by someone wanting to do some body work on their car ! thank you ! DMY

Default Re: Mystery Accident - Letter from Local Police Department Detective

Have you verified that the letter actually came from the PD by calling the main number (not the number in the letter) and asking for the detective (you don't have to talk to him if he exists)?

Is there a date of the accident contained in the letter?

Did you have liability insurance on that date?

If yes to all three questions, call that insurance company first thing in the AM, report it, and forward the letter to the claim rep assigned to the claim.

Oh, one more thing, don't talk to cops without talking to an attorney first.

the letter looks legitimate and I see the detective's name associated with the police department on the web.

yes, absolutely have full insurance.

what qualifies as an "accident". I had no accident. I had a very small "touch" with another car that left absolutely not even a scratch on my subaru's plastic molded bumper. I thought nothing of this, but someone either has reported this as an "accident" or they are trying to exaggerate damage and get some body work done on their car.

That is an accident unless you intentionally hit the other car.

Not only is it an "accident" but it could also be hit and run since you "thought nothing of it" and left the scene without reporting it to the police or leaving a note for the owner. That your car wasn't damaged doesn't mean the other car wasn't.

I suggest you not only report this to your insurance company but also have an attorney contact that investigator to see what's what.

Hit and run is not a good thing.

"Hit and Run" ? Wow, you're quick to judge - maybe I should flee the country ! My view is that it is very easy to exaggerate this kind of incident. If I had a truck, or something with a heavy metal bumper, then I agree I could damage another vehicle without seeing any damage on my heavy bumper. Well, I have a subaru - plastic molded bumper and it has NO evidence of scratches, and certainly not a dent. Check out youtube for all the video of individuals trying to scam an "accident" to get some extra body work done on their already damaged car...

Your car made contact with another car. That is an "accident" from a legal standpoint. Regardless of whether your car was damaged, and I notice you are not saying anything about damage to the other car, you are required to report it to the owner of the other car at the very least. Leaving without doing so, not even leaving a note with contact information, can rise to a charge of hit & run depending on the laws of your undisclosed state.

As jack said, you need to report this to your insurance company.

Quote Quoting dmy
    View Post
    what qualifies as an "accident". I had no accident. I had a very small "touch" with another car...
    Well, apparently you DID have an accident.

Now it's time to deal with your issue. How did this "touch" occur and was the other vehicle occupied?

One can assume that there IS damage to the other car or the detective wouldn't be wasting his time by calling you. Someone saw you your mint condition Subaru hit the other car, or there was video that captured your plate. Go ahead ostrich, keep your head in the sand and see how it turns out.
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

And, if you fail to respond to the detective, you could find them at your door with an arrest warrant.

So, you can either contact the detective and provide him with info that he needs and find out what's going on and what might happen, or, you can ignore him and HOPE that they don't come to arrest you at some point.

These matters can often be returned to the civil arena if people don't cop an attitude. If you want to argue with the detective or ignore the police, then they have another avenue to pursue which could be much more disconcerting than having to deal with an insurance claim.

Alternatively, and since you have the potential for criminal charges here, you could engage an attorney to represent you in all of this. That way you cannot say anything that could get you in trouble.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links