And, if you fail to respond to the detective, you could find them at your door with an arrest warrant.

So, you can either contact the detective and provide him with info that he needs and find out what's going on and what might happen, or, you can ignore him and HOPE that they don't come to arrest you at some point.

These matters can often be returned to the civil arena if people don't cop an attitude. If you want to argue with the detective or ignore the police, then they have another avenue to pursue which could be much more disconcerting than having to deal with an insurance claim.

Alternatively, and since you have the potential for criminal charges here, you could engage an attorney to represent you in all of this. That way you cannot say anything that could get you in trouble.