Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stressed Out Over Unemployment Overpayment - Please Help

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    No, I don't know it.
    This topic has come up before and when the answer provided was "they just want the money," I never said a word because that's what the data was telling me. I'm finding different things now, and I backed it up.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I know that you have a vested interest in proving that you know more than anyone else, whether you do or not.
    I don't get anything out of this. I just got tired of people making mistakes.

You never prove me wrong with a statistic or webpage that says otherwise, you just make personal jabs for whatever reason.

Just link to one thread, cbg, where your superior knowledge showed that I was wrong, and you took the claimant to victory.

Show me a mistake that anyone made on this thread.

And don't bring up Isabelle - that was is 2014. Who have you rescued from us lately?

Anyone who perceives that they are "taking claimants to victory" should get a job with the agency somewhere and free everyone. On any website, it's always caveat emptor, it's always better to check with the agency itself, and contrary to some subjective posters, it is not ever a combat exercise against the government agency to get something you are fully entitled to and have an inalienable right to get.

As I continue to stress, from a much more experienced viewpoint than anything you can Google up, it's not to the benefit of the unemployment system if the claimant does or does not get approved for benefits. And in times of high unemployment, the agency does not have the time or resources to aggressively pursue and convict as many fraud committers, and in times of low unemployment, like right now, they do have a bit more time and probably increase the number of aggressive investigations and prosecutions.

Now, take the last word and beat things to death here. To the benefit of the original poster? I think not.

After reading all these post I am really scared. I am providing the investigator for everything they are looking for. I am so scared of being procuted. I have never had any legal issues before and all I want to do is correct this. My sister helped pay for the lawyer, as I have been scared to death since this has began. I have a small special needs child and that is not an excuse but he needs me. If I go to jail I may not make it though all this. At the meeting all I want to do is go along with they have to say and correct this. Based on everyone's experience what are the changes I will go to jail, I have no record at all. Please I am really scared.

The odds of you being prosecuted, as explained by 2 people with a lot of experience with the unemployment system, are low and even if you are prosecuted, unless it is an egregious case, you will likely receive nothing more than a slap on the hand type punishment as long as you work to pay the overage back. You are cooperating and have an attorney, they are the best one to look to for advice as they have all the details for your specific situation.

Don't worry until there is something to worry about.

Happy now, chyvan?

Vime75, I absolutely promise you, you are not going to jail.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Happy now, chyvan?

Vime75, I absolutely promise you, you are not going to jail.
    I never said she was going to jail. All those people got a slap on the hands.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...fits-recovered

But NY is prosecuting.

Nowhere in that article does it say that people who self-report overages and voluntarily make restitution are being prosecuted. But you HAVE to be the most knowledgeable and the most up to date with all your info, don't you? You just HAVE to prove everyone else wrong, or at least not up to date. To heck with whether it scares a poster into thinking she's going to jail, when she'd already, before she'd even posted, self-reported and tried to set up a payment plan. No, the rest of us told her she was *likely* safe from prosecution (no one carved anything in stone) so in order to maintain your self-image as being the biggest and brightest and most knowledgeable about unemployment, issues, you had to take the other side and scare her to death.

You are a despicable human being and if you want me to provide additional evidence for that statement I am quite prepared to do so.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    self-reported and tried to set up a payment plan.
    I think that's debatable. I think she got caught.

Quote Quoting Vime75
    View Post
    My current job received a notice asking to supply some information regarding my employment. I am going to go to there off on the date we all scheduled and explain what took place.
    The employer was contacted. Why? If she's really aboveboard, then DOL already has the employer's wage reports. Then there's this scheduled meeting. This could be handled on the phone if it was no big deal.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You are a despicable human being and if you want me to provide additional evidence for that statement I am quite prepared to do so.
    There you go again with the name calling.

Then you find a story that shows that "we just want the money" is still valid. You can look at the recovery statistics. They are going UP, and yet most of the big overpayments were from EUC was in effect and that was in the past. The total volume of claims are down and yet the dollar values are up so they have to be going after a higher percentage of fraud claims to accomplish that. I vote they are ramping up.

I don't care what you think. Nance thought that if he did what he was supposed to, it would all be over, and it didn't work out that way, and I don't want this OP taking it lightly.

The investigator said I could of dealt with over the phone but I wanted to handle it in person and yes they contacted my employer but I also contact UI regarding this and they told me to wait till I received a letter of determination.
    I am scared to death and am going to do whatever they want to have this corrected.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast