Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to Sue Over Religious Discrimination in Prison

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Colorado. I am currently involved in a federal lawsuit for religious discrimination while I was incarcerated. I am a Jewish person who observes Passover and notated to the chaplain and the jail in the food services company that I would be in jail during Passover. The food services company said that they would provide kosher for Passover food. I am also a type 1 diabetic so I need to eat. The jail entirely denied me kosher for Passover food though it Westside I would be provided kosher for Passover food. I have multiple jail kites and a conversation with the food services company that said I would be provided this. I have since found out that the jail and Sheriff's Office have blocked my phone accounts and Gmail and I cannot get my records. I cannot find a lawyer that does not want a whole bunch of money up front. I need help.

Default Re: Religious Discrimination and Cannot Find a Lawyer

Try calling your state Bar Association, your local Legal Aide or any law schools in your area for referrals.

What evidence do you have that it was religious discrimination and not just an accident?

Go to the courthouses (federal and local) and look up cases where the sheriff and the jail have been sued.

Contact the plaintiffs' attorneys in those cases.

Attorneys who have sued government entities are more likely to want to do it again and may be of help to you.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

Attorneys who have sued government entities are more likely to want to do it again and may be of help to you.
    Jack, his problem is not in finding a lawyer willing to take the case. Plenty of Colorado lawyers would do it if there is good evidence of discrimination. The problem is finding one that does not require “a whole bunch of money up front.” And given that the likely damages that would be won here are not really huge, I can see that most lawyers would not want to do it on a contingent fee; they’d want to be paid hourly or some other fee arrangement that ensures they’ll get paid. I suggest the OP either contact an organization like the ACLU or try contacting the University of Colorado or University of Denver law schools to see if their criminal clinics (both of them have one) would be willing to work on this kind of case. He or she could also contact the Colorado Bar Association to see about possible referrals to attorneys who might take it pro bono. One problem I can see here is that many lawyers, including myself, are not keen to step into a lawsuit that has already been filed, especially one filed pro se, because we do not want to get stuck with whatever defects there were in the complaint and other prior filings in the case.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Jack, his problem is not in finding a lawyer willing to take the case. Plenty of Colorado lawyers would do it if there is good evidence of discrimination. The problem is finding one that does not require “a whole bunch of money up front.” And given that the likely damages that would be won here are not really huge, I can see that most lawyers would not want to do it on a contingent fee; they’d want to be paid hourly or some other fee arrangement that ensures they’ll get paid. I suggest the OP either contact an organization like the ACLU or try contacting the University of Colorado or University of Denver law schools to see if their criminal clinics (both of them have one) would be willing to work on this kind of case. He or she could also contact the Colorado Bar Association to see about possible referrals to attorneys who might take it pro bono. One problem I can see here is that many lawyers, including myself, are not keen to step into a lawsuit that has already been filed, especially one filed pro se, because we do not want to get stuck with whatever defects there were in the complaint and other prior filings in the case.
    I wonder if something like not being provided kosher food would qualify as a class action?

Maybe the OP should have considered how his crime would impact certain things . Before he did it.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I wonder if something like not being provided kosher food would qualify as a class action?
    Not all that likely. The OP did not indicate in what county he was being held in jail, but most county jails are fairly small and in most county jails it is very unlikely that they have all that many Jewish detainees. Indeed, probably many of them have none. Denver is the largest city in the state and the one with the largest jail population, approximately 2,100 inmates. The Jewish population in the city is about 2.5%. So, if we assume that the jail population would have a similar percentage of Jewish detainees the number Jewish detainees would be about 53. And it would be likely that not all of those are practicing Jews, so they may not have all needed kosher food. While 53 might be large enough to sustain a class action, there are still the other elements of the class action rule to meet.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Maybe the OP should have considered how his crime would impact certain things . Before he did it.
    You assume something that may not be true: that the OP had been convicted of a crime and was serving a sentence for that. But many people in county jail are not yet convicted of any crime; they are being held pending trial because they had the misfortune of not being able to come up with bail. Even if he was convicted, the government still cannot deny the prisoner the right to practice his/her religion.

I think that OP's cause of action is somewhat of a red herring. You don't get to pick and choose when you are going to be a good Jew and when not because of circumstances.

There are several recognized doctrines of Judaism, orthodox, conservative, and reformed. I'm not going into the differences of each. You can find that yourself.

The point is that if your religious belief requires you to only eat Kosher food only during Passover, then you are picking the circumstances. The orthodox follow the Talmud and the Torah . What you can and can not eat and how it is prepared. At Passover for example: no yeast, fermentation and expansion of dough or batter is forbidden.

Kosher for Passover is something that food manufactures put on their foods to indicate that it was prepared to a higher standard for Passover for those that only eat Kosher food .

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I think that OP's cause of action is somewhat of a red herring. You don't get to pick and choose when you are going to be a good Jew and when not because of circumstances.

There are several recognized doctrines of Judaism, orthodox, conservative, and reformed. I'm not going into the differences of each. You can find that yourself.

The point is that if your religious belief requires you to only eat Kocher food only during Passover, then you are picking the circumstances. Kocher for Passover is something that food manufactures put on their foods to indicate that it was prepared to a higher standard for those that only eat Kocher food .
    You are mistaken. The rules of Kashrut vary for Pesach. There are ingredients in regular kosher food that cannot be in food for Pesach, such as leavening agents and most wheat flours.

As to your assertion that there are good Jews and bad Jews: that's crap. There are Jews and not Jews. That some may keep kosher and others may not is not a good way to define Judaism. There are many Jews out there that don't follow all of the dietary rules but will follow all of the rules for Pesach.

As a Jew that you would classify as a "bad Jew" due to some of my dietary habits that makes me no less a Jew. It's not on you or the state to tell me that since I'm not Hasidim I'm not really a Jew.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast