Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Religious Discrimination and Cannot Find a Lawyer

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I think that OP's cause of action is somewhat of a red herring. You don't get to pick and choose when you are going to be a good Jew and when not because of circumstances.
    Religious beliefs are individual. A person might have reglious beliefs that differ in one or more respects from those generally held by a particular widely practiced religion or branch/denomination of a religion. The Constitution protects the individualís religious beliefs. It is not up to the government what religious beliefs are worthy of protection. One does not have to prove that his/her beliefs are reflected in some larger religious set of beliefs for those beliefs to be protected. Thus, saying that his particular beliefs do not fit squarely within, say, orthodox or conservative Jewish beliefs as practiced by most of those holding those beliefs would not be grounds for the government to deny the prisoner his religious rights under the Constitution.

But wouldn't you still have to show that your religious believes are the way you live your life? Could I just say that I am an orthodox Jew when I have never practiced orthodox Judaism?

Loo at it another way, bud. There are those Catholics who only follow the no-meat-on-Friday rules only during Lent, but they follow that rule regularly during Lent every year. Would you argue that because they did not follow the rule year round, they are not entitled to a meatless diet on Fridays?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2