My question involves adoption law for the State of: Texas
Hi! I live in Laredo, Texas. My husband wishes to adopt my daughter. There is no father listed on her birth certificate and he is unknown. She is 9 years old.
1. I've read there is a 6 month period where the child has to reside with the step-parent. What are the exceptions? We have been together a couple of years and recently married.
2. She is BEGGING to have his last name. We really would like her to start at her new school in the fall with her new name.
3. Can any of this be done without an attorney?
4. What are my options with or without?
5. If we cannot start the adoption process until we have all "legally" lived at the same address for 6 months, can I just change her name for now? She currently has my maiden name.
Thanks in advance!