Default Falsely Accused by Neighbors of Smoking Marijuana

My question involves defamation in the state of: Florida

Short to me:

-Manager at a big internet company
    -42 years old
    -never used drugs in my life
    -No police record ever
    -Original from Germany

Last Friday i came home from after work and had a letter on my door from my apartment complex. Neighbors had complaint that it smells like Marijuana out of my apartment. I should stop this right now or advise my guests not to smoke it anymore. First i live alone and i had no guests over for months. Plus never ever smoked marijuana in my apartment.

I was going to the front office to speak with the manager there. Showed her the paper and asked her what this is. The second sentence out of her mouth was: "i can smell it on you right now!" The only thing this lady could smell was my cologne. And the only things in my apartment smelling are the scented candles i have. I live there for 6 years rent was never late there was never an issue but this is a big issue for me. I lost trust in the management company plus this can damage my reputation.

What steps i can take in this case?

Default Re: Accusation of Marijuana Landlord/Neighbors

Option 1 - Write back (on paper with a delivery confirmation) that there is no marijuana use.

Option 2 - Ignore it and wait for something else to happen (probably not the best idea).

There's not a real legal issue here until you get a termination notice for cause.

"Plus never ever smoked marijuana in my apartment." Does this mean you smoke marijuana in your car and/or other places ? If it does, it is easy to smell marijuana on a persons clothes. Cologne and other fragrances do not cover it up. Marijuana is illegal in the State Of Florida

If you read my post: I never in my life touched any drugs. No marijuana or anything else in my 42 years of life @Mercy&Grace.

To make it clear before we riding on words.

-Never touched/used drugs in the 42 years of my life
    -Nobody from my family or friends is taking/using or in contact with any kind of drugs.

It is a distinctive smell. The next step could be that the manager asks the police to intervene. Their experience and training gives them specialized expertise in identifying the odor of cannabis (and differentiating it from cologne). If they smell what the manager smells then they have probable cause to get a search warrant. If they perceive sounds or other indications that evidence is being destroyed they might even come in without a warrant.

Only you know if what the manager smelled could be cannabis. If the letter bothers you then moving to another place is another option.

I was already one step away to call the police myself at this moment. I informed their cooperate office too they can come anytime to my apartment to have a look and smell.

Have you tried to sniff around to see if the odor is coming from some other apartment?

We had one guy in the house in another apartment before but he moved out 6 months ago. Since then i have not smelled any marijuana smoke anymore in our building.

Have you perhaps a neighbor who has it in for you for some reason?

I never had a problem with the 11 other persons/families living in the building. Always saying hello and how are you but thatīs it. Never had a problem or more talk with them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast