Default Terminating Parental Rights

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Kansas

Due to the threats that was made by my daughter's father during and after my pregnancy, I filed a PFA and was granted an order of protection he cannot have any form of contact with us for a year. i am wanting to terminate his rights, I do not receive child support nor do I care not to because of the fact that he started selling and using drugs again and I refuse to have that be a part of my daughters life. What all do I need to start the process of terminating his rights?

Default Re: Terminating Parental Rights

Get married and stay married for a while, then file for a step-parent adoption.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting kammy1982
    View Post

Due to the threats that was made by my daughter's father during and after my pregnancy, I filed a PFA and was granted an order of protection he cannot have any form of contact with us for a year. i am wanting to terminate his rights, I do not receive child support nor do I care not to because of the fact that he started selling and using drugs again and I refuse to have that be a part of my daughters life. What all do I need to start the process of terminating his rights?
    Stepparent adoption is an option if you are married to someone else.

Otherwise here is the statute on termination of parental rights: http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012...38_022_0069_k/

Voluntary relinquishment: http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012...38_022_0068_k/

I'm not sure if that applies in this case.

I found this:

"K.S.A. section 59-2136 (http://www.ksrevisor.org/statutes/ch..._021_0036.html) provides for a court determination whether a father has failed to assume the duties of a parent for a period preceding the filing of the petition for adoption. If the father has failed to provide any financial support for a two-year period prior to the adoption petition and has failed to have any meaningful relationship with the child, a rebuttable presumption will be established that the father is not fit to assume the duties of a parent for the child."

I would also recommend talking to a lawyer. It sounds like in Kansas it is very hard to terminate parental rights.

We were never married. Im single

The State is not going to terminate his rights just because you don't like him any more.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting kammy1982
    View Post

The state wants two parents legally responsible to support children. Kansas is not a state that will terminate a parent's legal responsibilities unless there is a stepparent that is willing and able to adopt the child and take over those legal responsibilities.

Quote Quoting kammy1982
    View Post
    We were never married. Im single
    Did he ever establish his paternity? Is there a child support order OR a parenting time order (visitation)?

I still recommend find a lawyer who does free consultations (in Kansas) and see what they say.

People change. Hopefully he will.

1. Sponsored Links