Default Do You Have to Pay for Materials Requested in Discovery

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I sent an Informal Discovery Request and was surprised when not all the evidence was sent to me. I received the traffic survey and the copy of the officers ticket; however, I was told, "A DVD recording of the traffic stop is available in the will call section of Police Headquarters. Should you choose to pick it up, please be advised that The Town charges $60."

Is this legal to charge me for the DVD? (Also $60 seems ridiculously expensive for a DVD.)

Lastly, because they didn't send it to me when I sent them the Informal Discovery Request, does this mean I can have it suppressed as evidence should they choose to present it in court?

Thank you for any help

Default Re: Pay for Discovery

The California code allows the costs of discovery to be shifted to the requesting party. And no, the fact you didn't come and get it or pay to have it sent won't prevent them from using it (though it's unlikley that the state was going to use the DVD in court anyhow, all they need is the officer's testimony).

Do you know how the cost of discovery is determined? $60 seems quite expensive for just a DVD. (What's stopping them from charging $200 for the traffic survey, $200 for a copy of the officers notes, another $200 for a DVD, etc...?)

Welcome to living in a bankrupt state.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Welcome to living in a bankrupt state.
    I'm moving to Arizona in July. Is it any better there?

Check to see if you can watch the video at the police station before ordering a copy. If so, you can determine if there's anything useful on the video before you commit to paying money for a copy. California's public records act does not provide for the charging of a fee for merely inspecting public records during the agency's regular office hours.

Quote Quoting HawkMan
    View Post
    I'm moving to Arizona in July. Is it any better there?
    In a lot of ways, yes, but it wouldn't surprise me if you would pay for discovery here, too.

When you get here, obey all the traffic laws, pick a lane, stay in it, and set your cruise control to the speed limit and you won't have to be concerned about any of that.

Quote Quoting HawkMan
    View Post
    Do you know how the cost of discovery is determined? $60 seems quite expensive for just a DVD. (What's stopping them from charging $200 for the traffic survey, $200 for a copy of the officers notes, another $200 for a DVD, etc...?)
    But you're not just paying for the cost of a DVD. You're also paying for the overhead (the employee's time, the administrative burden, etc.) While it seems high to me, everything in CA seems to be overpriced.

1. Sponsored Links