Question How to Get a Right to Die Law Passed in the U.S.A.

My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Florida

I'm a 22 year old living on SSI due to Autism, ADHD, personality disorder, bipolar disorder, depression, and schizophrenia. Right now I live in the state of Florida but I use to live in Wisconsin (I HATED it there and never want to go back). A couple months ago, I had a dream that I was still living with my adoptive parents in Wisconsin and these people came over to our house and gave me the option to be euthanized for my mental health conditions. I said yes, but I told them I didn't want to die in Wisconsin at all. So they called a taxi and drove me down to Jonesboro Arkansas and had me euthanized in a hospital room there.

That was just a dream though but now I want to get this law passed in real life in the USA.

I want people to be able to be given the option to be voluntarily euthanized if they're suffering with a psychical or mental illness.

It already exist in European counties: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...euthanasia-du/
    as seen here too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uncurable.html

I want to get this law passed and I know it'll take a while, but I have no idea where to start on all of this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe people deserve the right to die with dignity.

Default Re: I Want to Get This Law Passed in the USA (the Right to Die)

You have to contact your state legislative officials in Florida to ask them to pass the law that you want. You can try organizing a group of Florida voters who agree with you to help persuade the legislators to do it. However, as I recall so far in the U.S. only one state, Oregon, has enacted a right to die law and that law is fairly restrictive in what it allows. In general Americans tend to be much less accepting of the idea of human euthanasia than some European nations are. Part of that comes from our greater distrust of government and a suspicion that these kinds of laws would open the way to allowing various abuses, including those in which the government gets to decide when to kill off citizens that it thinks are too much of a burden. You may well have to work on a campaign to convince a majority of Florida voters to overcome that kind of opposition and support the sort of law you want to see enacted.

Quote Quoting CruelSummerBananaramaAR
    View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Travel to where it is legal and .

I have no objection to voluntary euthanasia (suicide). People who want to die should be allowed to.

Assisted suicide is legal in a handful of US states but it's reserved for medically terminally ill patients.

For people like you it's unlikely to ever be legal in the US.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Travel to where it is legal and .

I have no objection to voluntary euthanasia (suicide). People who want to die should be allowed to.

Assisted suicide is legal in a handful of US states but it's reserved for medically terminally ill patients.

For people like you it's unlikely to ever be legal in the US.
    i'm too broke to move to Europe.

and i'm sure it'd pass. Just don't know where to get the support from really. The USA wants mentally ill people, like me, out of the way, especially if we're living off of their tax dollars.

Quote Quoting CruelSummerBananaramaAR
    View Post
    i'm too broke to move to Europe.

and i'm sure it'd pass. Just don't know where to get the support from really. The USA wants mentally ill people, like me, out of the way, especially if we're living off of their tax dollars.
    Actually, I think you'd have a hard time getting it passed in most states. It’s not all just about money. A good many Americans hold to Christian or other religious beliefs that teach that suicide and euthanasia is a sin/moral wrong. And those beliefs affect their opposition for such laws. That coupled with the distrust of government makes it a difficult issue to win people over.

how do you guys think i should get supporters for this law?

This wouldn't happen on a federal level unless of course you somehow get a case through the Federal court system that somehow not letting you kill yourself is a violation of your civil rights.

At a state level it would be your state legislature.

But you might want to start by Goggling "euthanasia organizations" there are several that are already trying.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    This wouldn't happen on a federal level unless of course you somehow get a case through the Federal court system that somehow not letting you kill yourself is a violation of your civil rights.

At a state level it would be your state legislature.

But you might want to start by Goggling "euthanasia organizations" there are several that are already trying.

i found one in the state of florida right away... thanks.

1. Sponsored Links