Default What to Do if Your Appeal is Dismissed for Want of Prosecution

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Illinois, Cook County

I was the defendant in a chancery case. I lost, but believe I have a good chance of winning on appeal. I filed a timely notice of appeal and record on appeal, but I've been too sick to file my appellant's brief. On motion from appellee, the court dismissed the case for want of prosecution.

735 ILCS 5/13-217 makes it sound like I have a year to refile, but somehow I think that only applies to the circuit court. I think Rule 367(a) only gives me 21 days to petition for rehearing, but perhaps I am wrong?

I filed a motion to extend the time for petitioning for rehearing within the 21 days, but they only granted me 14 days more and then denied my second motion to extend the time for petitioning for rehearing, so at this point I think the appellate court has lost jurisdiction.

Now what?

Default Re: How Do I Recover from a Dwp in Illinois Appellate Court

What makes you think 13-217 has any applicability to you as a defendant or anything to do do with failing to prosecute a timely appeal? This is about the plaintiff refiling in the light of certain unfavorable actions to him.

Once your appeal was dismissed and you blew your rehearing petition, it's over. Did you actually read 367(e)?

This isn't elementary school. A note from your mommy doesn't excuse the failure to respond in a timely fashion.

735 ILCS 5/13-217 specifically states "the action is dismissed for want of prosecution", whereas 367 does not.

367(e) would not appear to apply because I never filed a "petition for rehearing".

It's annoying that plaintiffs get a year to cure a dwp but defendants only get 21 days.

It's an entirely different situation in those two rules.
    Anyhow, you're not going to get a rehearing. You missed the time frame. I only bring it up since you mentioned it. It appears you didn't prosecute your higher court appeal. Your case is over. This is why you really need a lawyer, if not at the original case, but certainly to push appeals.

Yes, unfortunately pro bono attornies for foreclosures are rare and unheard of for foreclosure appeals (or at least that is what I was told every time I tried to find one).

Do you know how a granted motion to extend the time for petitioning for rehearing affects the 35 days for a Rule 315 petition?

Thank you for your assistance.

1. Sponsored Links