Default How to Prevent Somebody from Getting a TRO

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tx, Iíve known this girl for 3 years and proposed to her. She said yes, but got upset and blocked me on Facebook. Her statuses indicate alcohol problems plus associated psychosis and stress relation. If I tried to write her a letter to figure out whatís going on with her, Iím assuming she could claim harassment and go for a No contact TRO. If Iím accurate with my read of her, will that be possible to void the charges and TRO?

Default Re: Voiding a Potential Tro

I single letter with no threats should not be enough for a TRO or an harassment charge. That said if you think she might try for that outcome just don't send the letter.

Default Re: How to Prevent Somebody from Getting a TRO

Quote Quoting D-town
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tx, I’ve known this girl for 3 years and proposed to her. She said yes, but got upset and blocked me on Facebook. Her statuses indicate alcohol problems plus associated psychosis and stress relation. If I tried to write her a letter to figure out what’s going on with her, I’m assuming she could claim harassment and go for a No contact TRO. If I’m accurate with my read of her, will that be possible to void the charges and TRO?
    How about you just leave her alone? She's made it very clear she wants nothing to do with you.

I strongly recommend a review of the post hx before responding to this or any other post by this OP.

I've got to start checking Px Hx.

Quote Quoting D-town
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tx, I’ve known this girl for 3 years and proposed to her. She said yes, but got upset and blocked me on Facebook. Her statuses indicate alcohol problems plus associated psychosis and stress relation. If I tried to write her a letter to figure out what’s going on with her, I’m assuming she could claim harassment and go for a No contact TRO. If I’m accurate with my read of her, will that be possible to void the charges and TRO?

My, my you do seem to look for legal situations to get yourself into, don’t you?

Generally speaking, a single letter to her asking simply what happened wouldn’t be enough to get a permanent restraining order against you, although if she has made it very clear she does not want to hear from you (and your post kind of suggests that may be the case) then that letter could indeed be a problem. All the facts and circumstances matter and we don’t have those here. As she has cut you off from communication I suggest you simply let this go as it is evident she does not want to talk to you. If she has a problems with alcohol and mental issues you may consider yourself lucky that you avoided marrying into those problems.

Temporary restraining orders, on the other hand, are far easier to get and often are obtained ex parte, meaning that that the order is issued without you having been notified beforehand and given an opportunity to contest it. But, as the name suggests, the temporary order does not last long; it is in place only long enough for the court to conduct a full hearing on whether to make to make the order permanent. That is generally your opportunity to contest the matter, and it's usually a good idea to hire an attorney to handle that for you.

1. Sponsored Links