Default Received a Police Report in the Mail Stating I Hit a Parked Car

My question involves an accident that occurred in the state of: CA

3 months ago, i was involved in an accident. someone pulled out of a cafe driveway too far and i hit them, but they sped off. the damage to my car was extensive, and required a tow. so i called the police & filed a report. i had my car towed and filed the claim with my insurance & the investigation concluded i was not at fault.

Today in the mail i received a copy of a police report naming me the driver of a hit and run of a parked car, along with the individuals name and info.

here's where things get sticky.
    my car information is listed, such as VIN number, Licence plate, etc. BUT my car still had dealer plates when i towed that night, as it was new. and the police report also stated this car was parked ON THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN from where i got my car towed.. the police report indicated there is no photo evidence nor hwy footage of incident

so it seems as though, they just found the two police reports from the same night, and are trying to accuse me since it was around the same time in the same HUGE city of los angeles on a busy saturday night...

oh, and the damage suffered by said parked car was minor it to the back side lights. if my car was MESSED UP i'd expect a little more han a broken tail light on supposed car

the officer requests at the bottom to call him to further discuss this report

this seems like an extreme reach on their behalf, but i'm not sure how to approach the situation. and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Received a Police Report in the Mail Stating I Hit a Parked Car

Quote Quoting altoid
    View Post

the officer requests at the bottom to call him to further discuss this report

this seems like an extreme reach on their behalf, but i'm not sure how to approach the situation. and advice is greatly appreciated!!!
    DO NOT CALL THE OFFICER.

Call your insurance company claim rep that handled your collision claim first thing in the AM so he can have a liability claim opened for investigation. Your insurance company's experts know how to handle this, you don't.

Arrange to fax or email a copy of the police report to the claim rep. Once the liability claim is opened your company rep will contact you for a statement.

Meantime, hit and run is a crime, and you are being accused of it so get yourself a criminal defense lawyer to do the talking for you. Otherwise you are likely to talk yourself right into a conviction.

Default Re: Received a Police Report in the Mail Stating I Hit a Parked Car

Are they adding 2+2 or does the police report state that there are witnesses to the hit and run?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links