Default Why Would a Store Let You Leave After Shoplifting and Then Call the Police

Dubuque iowa...

why would a LP Officer from Wal-Mart not stop u after he knows you shoplift and follows you out of store and then just takes down licence plate and call police officer (they were writing down stuff from cameras by selfcheck out say i price tag switch as he was following to my car) I was arrested at my home by police officer after he asked my name if I was at Wal-Mart and they had me on camera ring out but didn't some like I paid from right items or didn't scan them but mostly saw price switch... I paid for some right price but yes I do know now I did do it. yes I also know I have a health issues after all of this happen I did get help after all the court stuff
    but not sure what or why I was not arrested at store that day but arrested at my home that day.

I'm thankful the LP Officer did it that way BECAUSE it was not seen by everyone at store then. I am still having trouble over the arrest and search and handcuff I did everything police officer said I walked over to SUV and gave him rest of stuff on me car keys cell phone he had and my Driver licence and blu tooth then I guess I though I just get in SUV but he then said anything eles in pockets and pat me down and put on hand cuffs it hurt ALOT and then told how to get into SUV... I'm glad none of that was by store because I just shut down and total wanted to die. in SUV read my rights. and at station search by female officer again before handcuff come off.

also I like to APOLOGIZE to LP Officer store and police officer for all of this and not looking forgiveness I am wanting them to know I made a serious choice in my life that was not right and that I have gotten help for it. but don't want the letter to came back at me I just want to APOLOGIZE good points bad points on this (charge with 4th degree fenley serious mistermeaner drop to 5th degree simple mistermeanor)

Default Re: Crimal Question on Shoplifting

Why wouldn't he confront you? Because it's not safe for either him or you and his employer has a policy about that. That's what the police are for. There's no legal obligation for you to be detained or otherwise arrested at the point you commit the crime.

Apologies don't undo crimes. You NEED a lawyer. Even reduced to fifth-degree theft, this charge is nothing to sneeze at. You could still go to jail (unlikely). You'll likely get fines and costs running in to the thousands of dollars and probation. You will have a LIFETIME criminal record. Iowa does not allow for expunction of convictions. A lawyer may be able to get you into a deferred judgement which may allow you after probation to avoid the record of the conviction.

What flying said. The crime isn't committed until AFTER you walk out of the store. After that it is up to AP to consider if it is safe enough to pick you up outside. They have little power to do so. The only times I see our AP App suspects is repeat offenders they catch back in the store. In that case they have committed a previous crime that they are being detained for. At this point you are now in the revolving door of upper AP management and not likely to score any favors no matter how sorrowful you are.

Quote Quoting seki
    View Post
    The crime isn't committed until AFTER you walk out of the store.
    That is incorrect in many states, including Iowa. Shoplifting is charged as a crime of theft in Iowa which has no element requiring exiting the store with it. It's just normal procedure for AP/LP to wait as it is easier to say there was intent if all points of sale are passed. They also don't wait until the suspect is out of store, they are supposed to stop the shoplifter as they are approaching the exit doors. Letting the suspect out the door makes the stop more likely to go sideways.

hi I now an apology does not change the fact I did comment a serious crime, but in just want to let the LP officer and police to know I'm glad they did their job very well. I want them to know that they had saved a life that day because I was headed in to more trouble (which shoplifting was one he'll of a nightmare going thought everything arrested search book and the court all that and then having to work out issues were I work) but I had lawyer said I should get help and I did with my Dr. and a therapies I have some really life issues that cause me to make wrong choices and to the point if I kept going I may not of even be here ... I was very good at hiding things I was doing even to myself ... it took along time but I now know I have to work hard at keeping myself safe... I even had some bad times and they got even worse will going to court stuff... not just saying this but I really wanted to just go away and I mean go away and never wake up. several times. which I REALIZE now I could of or have done it. I'm in consoling and on meds. now and I just want to try and make thing right for everyone that I hurt and I don't want forgiveness I don't deserve it.
    I'm just trying to understand stuff how it went that day and why things happen that way. yes I'm going to be living with this for the rest of my life

Everyone lives with difficulties. Yours may be more harsh than others, but understand that you're not alone in suffering. That's the human condition. I'm glad your getting help with your self-destructive behaviors. Yes, when you take actions that harm others that is going to become a criminal issue and the consequences can be harsh. Try to see it from the other person's point of view if you can. A store employee does not know who they are dealing with, what their mental state is, whether they are armed, whether they are violent, etc. They are not police officers. Their store's training and policies may dictate that they allow police to handle thefts where the person has left the store. In some states you are only required to pass all points of checkout/payment in order to be stopped, and store personnel will confront people before they leave. Once a person takes possession of an item with the intent to steal it, the crime of theft has already been committed but in your state it's quite possible that the person has to leave a retail store without paying in order to prove the theft. Once a person is outside it can be much more dangerous to try to apprehend them.

Default Re: Why Would a Store Let You Leave After Shoplifting and Then Call the Police

thank you for the information
    yes you dont know me and they dont know me and I have learn what I did does hurt a lot of people the owner the store the workers and the LP Officers and even hurting police officer and customers too. I'm really very sorry ... I had a hard time even understanding what I did even that day and i still when police came to my home to talk to me still not getting it and after going with police to his SUV still didn't realize I was under arrest. handcuff and serach and book.
    then going to court and stuff ... yes it is all out of your hands your life is not your own and judge tells you get a lawyer in in some really serious trouble and I know it's my fault no one else and then learn and dealing what you did and the whole time it's like you hide this from everyone even did a good job on myself keeping it from me like it was not me and once I got help and help from dr. and a very good therapist... found out a lot and it all came out even stuff I was not really knowing I was doing to myself ( like over med. with pills and alcohol and taking some of my meds. I was on trying to end my life I now realize... if not for the LP Officer and police officer like I said if I keep going I be not here ... it was not who I was but I would never hurt anyone physically... I'm not that way but yes they dont know that... I just did not understand why I was not stop at store trying to get some answer to help understand d it ... I also been clean now with this for over 6 month and with the other stuff drug and alcohol for over 2 month I had a slip on alcohol before I got all the stuff out what was happening to me ....

1. Sponsored Links