Default How to Fire Your Lawyer

My question relates to legal practice in the state of: California
    I want to officially sever any further relationship with a SoCal attorney who never 1. produced a written Attorney-Client agreement, 2. NEVER responded to my repeated requests for fee quotes, 3. Of the 5 emails I sent him, he responded twice, 4. By his lack of response forced ME to file motions in court, 5. Charged egregious fees, 6. Sent bills for "General Matters" which I never authorized.
    How do I officially fire this jerk once and for all?
    Would it do any good writing a complaint to the senior partner of his law firm (he is a junior attorney)?

Default Re: Wow, Was I Screwed by a Lawyer

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    My question relates to legal practice in the state of: California
    I want to officially sever any further relationship with a SoCal attorney who never 1. produced a written Attorney-Client agreement, 2. NEVER responded to my repeated requests for fee quotes, 3. Of the 5 emails I sent him, he responded twice, 4. By his lack of response forced ME to file motions in court, 5. Charged egregious fees, 6. Sent bills for "General Matters" which I never authorized.
    How do I officially fire this jerk once and for all?
    Would it do any good writing a complaint to the senior partner of his law firm (he is a junior attorney)?
    You can file a complaint with the local BAR Association.

However, you fire him by putting it in writing that he is fired.

Default Re: How to Fire Your Lawyer

If your case is over, then you don't need to fire the lawyer (or firm) -- you just don't retain them for any additional services.

If you have a case pending in court, you can retain a new lawyer and have your new lawyer substitute in as counsel, or you (or your lawyer) can bring a motion asking the court to discharge your lawyer from further responsibility for the case.

As you have retained a firm, if you want to continue to work with the firm you can see if the firm will replace the lawyer it has assigned to your case.

No "case" ever occurred. I "verbally" retained a property tax lawyer to monitor the procession of a property tax reassessment of a residence. I gave a verbal go ahead, but with repeated requests for fee quotes...which he never replied to. His firm kept sending egregious bills, and he communicated so poorly with me, I was forced to file motions myself because I didn't know what the hell he was doing. The property issue was resolved, and I am now paying for his "time" in pulling down 2 emails ($300). So I've written a "cordial" official termination of his services along with final payment, and explicitly informing him of cessation of any representation, verbal or implied. I'm giving him a chance to act professionally this last time. If he doesn't.......hell hath no fury.

If there is no case, then there would be no opportunity to file motions. Motions are filed within the context of litigation, petitioning the court for action or relief on a specific issue.

If the issue is over, and no new services are being sought or provided, what you're actually in a position to do is negotiate over any outstanding balance for your legal fees.

1. Sponsored Links