Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Missing Court-Ordered Domestic Violence Classes

Quote Quoting policestateofmind
    View Post
    I was in a domestic dispute that requires me to go to court ordered classes. The problem is that I won't be able to because I have no resources being from out of the state. (no transportation, nowhere to live, etc)
    You will need to determine from the court whether they will accept your enrollment in a local domestic violence program as an alternative to the one that is preferred by the court. Then you will need to find a way to attend and complete that program.
    I was already told that the charges will be dropped if I go to these classes, but I do not know what to do.
    If you want the charges to be dropped, you will find a way to do what the court ordered. If you prefer to have a criminal record and potentially spend some time behind bars, you can decline the opportunity.
    I have only been to arraignment so far and they didn't let me speak at all....
    You accepted the deferral. If you choose to violate the terms of the deferral, you'll get an opportunity to speak in court -- to enter a plea, and have your case scheduled for trial, plea hearing or sentencing.
    View Post
    I have a public defender.
    Well, then: Talk to your lawyer.

How were you ordered to complete a domestic violence program at arraignment? Once you were ordered to completed it, who is supposed to be monitoring your compliance with the judge's order? When you agreed to the terms of the order, were you then sentenced to probation?

Quote Quoting viol8te
    View Post
    How were you ordered to complete a domestic violence program at arraignment?
    He agreed to a deferral and, if he completes the terms of the deferral, the charge will be dismissed.
    Quote Quoting viol8te
    Once you were ordered to completed it, who is supposed to be monitoring your compliance with the judge's order?
    Odds are he has been given a date by which to provide documentation of completion to the court.

OP seems to be suggesting that options are limited and there really is no possible way to complete what was agreed upon in court. I understand what you're saying about "odds are" but, my impression is, odds are that OP is fishing for a plausible excuse for willingly opting not to complete what was agreed upon.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Default Re: Regarding Court Ordered Domestic Violence Classes

View Post
    I'm speaking to people that should be giving advice..not someone in control of selecting the punishment I should receive.

Context. Context. Context.

I don't think that was a serious question.. more of a rhetorical one to try to make me realize it's important to be courteous to the judge. I know that. If it was a serious question than you and those like you are the reason they put the warnings on silica packets saying not to eat them. Hope I didn't offend you by the lack of a filter I have for internet forums.

Yes..Much to my dismay - I have a public defender. You are right I shouldn't have and certainly wish I didn't get myself in this mess.
    No that was a pretty legit question - you say you have nowhere to stay, no food, that you're basically destitute yet you have Internet access. Legit question to ask how you get on the Internet or other things but you can't get to court.

If you want the charges dropped you better figure it out. Where there's a will, there's a way.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2