Default Oil Cap Not Put Back On After an Oil Change

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I took my 2010 Camry to get an oil change from a company “like” Firestone. They neglected to put my oil cap back on after the oil change. One week later we noticed that the “low oil pressure” indicator light was blinking so we called the “oil change” place and they refilled our oil and gave us a new cap. One week later again, no oil. The “oil change” place took our vehicle to a Toyota Dealership and the dealership advised us that we need a new engine because of rod knocks due to the car being driven with no oil. The claim department for the “oil change” place asked Toyota to replace the engine with a used engine which Toyota denied as they do not warranty used engines. This is what Toyota informed me as they told me not to mention this to the “oil change” claims department. Granted we were given a loaner car to drive to and from work which we had to put a $200 deposit on and it been 4 weeks. We still make payments on the toyota. What should I do? Any advise is much appreciated. The cliams department does not know that I am aware of them trying to replace my car with a used engine. I have been feeling appreciated until I heard that from Toyota. Should I notify my insurance company?

Default Re: Oil Change Gone Bad

I’m confused. The oil change place offered to pay for a used engine. You aren’t entitled to a new engine because you didn’t have a new engine.

Default Re: Oil Change Gone Bad

If you had 100,000 miles on your camry, you're entitled to a motor with around 100,000 on it. If you want a brand new motor with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, you're not going to get it.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Oil Cap Not Put Back On After an Oil Change

Since I am more knowledgeable about cars, especially Toyotas, familiar with doing oil changes, and experienced with this type of legal matter, I will try to help out here.

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    I took my 2010 Camry to get an oil change from a company “like” Firestone. They neglected to put my oil cap back on after the oil change. One week later we noticed that the “low oil pressure” indicator light was blinking so we called the “oil change” place and they refilled our oil and gave us a new cap.
    Within the last seven days after you drove away the "oil change" place and before the low oil pressure light coming on, did you notice any white/blue smoke coming out from under the hood of your vehicle? Has the hood of the vehicle ever been opened? When oil leaks from the oil filler (neck) or any other part of the engine's crankcase, it moves onto a hot surface of the engine, thus allowing the heat to burn it and turn it into smoke. You would then notice the smell from the vents or from the window.

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    One week later again, no oil.
    How did the engine run out of oil? within one week Did you check to make sure that the oil cap was properly put on the engine? Did the "oil change" place neglect to put on the oil cap again? Can the hood of your vehicle be opened by someone other than the technician of the "oil change" place?

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    The “oil change” place took our vehicle to a Toyota Dealership and the dealership advised us that we need a new engine because of rod knocks due to the car being driven with no oil.
    The Toyota dealership is correct. I would too take its recommendation. When a piston rod loses oil pressure, it begins to "flirt" with the crankshaft journal at the bottom of the engine. It is better to have used oil than no oil in an engine.

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    The claim department for the “oil change” place asked Toyota to replace the engine with a used engine which Toyota denied as they do not warranty used engines.
    So, does the Toyota dealership replace original engines with rebuilt ones?

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    This is what Toyota informed me as they told me not to mention this to the “oil change” claims department.
    Why did Toyota tell you not to mention this to the "oil change" place's claims department?

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    Granted we were given a loaner car to drive to and from work which we had to put a $200 deposit on and it been 4 weeks.
    Lucky you.

Quote Quoting Roro1128
    View Post
    We still make payments on the toyota. What should I do? Any advise is much appreciated. The cliams department does not know that I am aware of them trying to replace my car with a used engine. I have been feeling appreciated until I heard that from Toyota. Should I notify my insurance company?
    You can notify your insurance company about the "oil change" place claims place wanting to replace your vehicle's original engine with a used one, but it may not phase the insurance company or get it to do something about it other than ask about your next monthly payment.

Here are two things you should do in case the "oil change" place's claims department fail to have your vehicle's original engine replaced with a new engine:

1. Request the "oil change" place's claims department to have the original engine of your vehicle be replaced with a used engine at an independent automotive service facility and have your vehicle towed there.

2. Request Toyota to replace the original engine of your vehicle with a new engine, pay for the new engine and the replacement labor out of pocket, and then (try to) sue the "oil change" place for damages, if there were any damages that happened after the technician of the "oil change" place refilled the original engine with oil and before the rod knock began, in the amount you spent on the new engine and the replacement labor.

1. Sponsored Links