Default Can You Become a Mortgage Loan Originator With a Criminal Record

My question involves a professional license in the state of: Colorado

I want to obtain my license to become a mortgage loan officer in the state of Colorado.
    I was convicted of a felony in 1990. The charge was Fraud by check. I paid my fines and completed my probation as ordered. My CBI report that I ordered online today has come back clean- I was surprised to see that this conviction was not reflected on the report. Will this conviction show on a fingerprint FBI search? Will this conviction prevent me from obtaining my license? I also have the opportunity to work an a loan officer in a bank. Will this conviction prevent me from being employeed at a bank? I made this mistake over 25 years ago and Iím hoping I wonít have to pay for this mistake forever. I thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Mortgage Loan Originator

Where did you order your CBI report from? Many retail Background Checks don't go back that far or are just plain incomplete.

The FBI check should see everything.

I ordered online from CBI website.

Will FBI report show convictions over 20 years old? Will this prevent me from working as an LO and/or working in a bank? Thank you again.

If you are asked about criminal history, you must disclose it whether you think it is still on your background check or not. Failure to do further indicates you are dishonest and if it comes to light in the future, the DRE will come down hard on you (seen it happened, my former roommate was licensed in Colorado).
    Generally, criminal convictions are FOREVER in the government databases.

I have no idea what you mean by "CBI Website" but as you were told, nearly any you can get to as a consumer aren't going to be as comprehensive as what the government could see.

Frankly, you probably have some explaining to do as to why you should be trusted with money given your history of bank fraud.

The charge was actually Fraud by Check, not Bank Fraud. I wrote checks on my own personal account without having the money to cover the checks. It was a very poor chose on my part and I have paid dearly for making that desicion. And you stated did you didnít know what I meant by CBI- Colorado Bureau of Investigations. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

You can quibble over what you want to call it but you feloniously misappropriated money. That's at odds with being trusted with other people's money.

OK, that CBI. Still doesn't change what I told you. If you LIE you are in for a bigger world of hurt than if you tell the truth. Just because the CBI check they gave you didn't list it doesn't mean it is forever hidden.

Wow- you are incredibly rude and nasty. Thanks for assuming that I plan to lie. It costs nothing and takes very little effort to respond with the facts and keep your nastieness to yourself.

So unprofessional.

Sorry if I'm a little jaded, but ten out of nine people who come here asking if something is going to show up on an employment background check are asking whether they can get away with failing to disclose it on their application. If you've reformed and are now honest, I apologize. It still doesn't change any of the advice I've given, no matter how many excuses you come back with.

1. Sponsored Links