Default Suing an Ex-Roommate for Half of Utilities and Expenses

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: South Carolina

This case involves money owed by the roommate for many expenses over the course of their time sharing the property.

For the majority of the time they lived with me, they did not contribute anything to the house, I paid the entire rent, electric/water, internet, food expenses, everything. They did not start working until well into living with me. They finally began to help out a few months after they started working once I bothered them about it enough. They promised to pay back the total amount of what they caused me to pay over the course of them staying with me by making contributions on a monthly basis.

Proof: Multiple messages from them promising to pay me back including an agreed upon amount monthly.

I just want to know how much this would stand up in court in case they decide to skip out on paying me back.

Thanks!

Default Re: Suing an Ex-Roommate for Half of Utilities and Expenses

Whether or not you can obtain a judgment will depend upon what agreement you can prove to have existed between yourself and your ex-roommate, as well as the exact promises made in the text messages. In relation to the text messages, if your ex-roommate denies making them you will also have the issue of authenticating them to the court.

Keep in mind, also, that you have to collect any money awarded to you. If the person has no money to pay you, getting a judgment won't change that fact.

Default Re: Suing an Ex-Roommate for Half of Utilities and Expenses

Thank you! That was all I was wanting to know.

1. Sponsored Links