Default Emancipation Information For Ontario

Hello. This is my first post here but I might stick around ^_^ I like law. Anyway, here is the situation...I'm fifteen years old, I have a job although I am looking for a better one (currently a paper boy making around $200 a month) and my father is a drunk. My mom doesn't notice, and a lot of the time I feel more mature then they are. They tend to do stupid careless things and they are in professional positions and I don't want to be associated with that. For example, my dad's driving drunk and we have to talk to a police officer. I was scared as hell he was going to get arrested and we would have to do some legal stuff that I didn't want to get involved in. Like I said, they are in pretty professional positions so I feel that one slip on there part could compromise our home life. Is it possible to be emancipated and live with your parents until you are sixteen? Thanks for all the help ^_^ and I realize that some kids do have it worse then me but I would still like to investigate this further.

Default Re: Emancipation Information For Ontario

Ontario, Canada or Ontario, California?

This is primarily a US site and I don't know that anyone here knows Canadian laws. In the US it is rare indeed that a 15 year old would be emancipated at all (and certainly not one that only makes $200 a month).

Since emancipation means being completely self-supporting, I can't think of any circumstances in which you can be emancipated while still relying on your parents for support. The two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Conventional wisdom is that at sixteen, in Canada you can set up an independent househould without going through a court. We've had people here report that they verified that with their local authorities, but from what I have read nobody has actually posted any law which definitively establishes that as the law in Canada.

Ontario Canada. Well, I can still try >< lol.

On $200 a month?

If you're still living with your parents, that is NOT an "independent household".

1. Sponsored Links