Default Defacing Currency

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

So lately I've been wanting one of those necklaces that consists of nothing but a coin but first you have to put the hole in the coin, and since defacing money is illegal would this count and could you get charged with something if a police officer saw you wearing it? I'm talking about a quarter here. I was thinking that to be sure I could take the coin and a handheld drill to the local police station here and just slap the coin down on the counter in front of whoever was working front desk that day, pull out the drill and drill the hole in the coin then and there without saying a word. What consequences would result from this?

Default Re: What Would Happen if You Drilled a Hole in a Coin at the Police Station

Pull out a drill at the desk at a police station, and you will very likely get a gun pulled on you as it will like you're drawing a weapon. This is STUPID!

At the very least, you will be asked to leave. At the very worst, you could be charged with ... something. I doubt the police are going to care that you're drilling a hole in a quarter. Home repairs and jewelry creation is best done at home.

We have machines that squish nickels and pennies at tourist stops. No cop in CA is going to care if you drill holes in your change. Just do NOT do it at the police station if you do not want to be detained at gun point when you withdraw what might look like a weapon in the immediate presence of a police employee!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: What Would Happen if You Drilled a Hole in a Coin at the Police Station

A local police officer, any place other than a police station, won't care it isn't their jurisdiction. And a federal officer simply won't care.

Hey look, lollipops, I mean, lp101, I mean, whathappensafter, I mean, freegirl is back with another ridiculous post.

I don't know why anyone here entertains this nonsense. If this person is ignored consistently they will go away.

Quote Quoting freegirl
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

So lately I've been wanting one of those necklaces that consists of nothing but a coin but first you have to put the hole in the coin, and since defacing money is illegal would this count and could you get charged with something if a police officer saw you wearing it?
    Your premise that it is illegal to deface coins is wrong. As the U.S. Treasury, Department of the Mint (which is the agency that makes U.S. coins) explains in a FAQ page:

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

So unless you are defacing or altering the coins to commit some kind of fraud, like for example trying to the coin appear as one worth more than it really is, the alteration does not vioalte federal law. So if you want to take some pennies, drill a hole in them and string them together as a necklace, go for it. That is not illegal and no cop is going to arrest you for wearing the necklace.

I would recommend you not attempt drilling the holes at a police station for the reasons cdwjava points out. And it would be totally pointless anyway.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    I don't know why anyone here entertains this nonsense. If this person is ignored consistently they will go away.
    Because the question about whether it is illegal to make jewlery out of coins is actually a legitimate legal question. If you think it is nonsense, just don't post at all. Trolls like to see people get upset with their posts; your complaints that what they post is “nonsense” is what feeds trolls. That’s what trolls like to see. If all they get is a real answer to the actual legal question they ask then they’ll go away if real legal answers are not what they are looking for. On the other hand, if this person really wants to learn a little about the law, well, isn’t that what these boards are for? In any event, I’m not going to stop providing legal information in posts that raise legitimate legal issues, regardless of what you may think about the worth of them.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    I know exactly what entertains this person -- people who "feed the troll" by reacting negatively to her posts. If people want her to go away, they need to stop feeding her.

1. Sponsored Links