Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Workplace Injury Due to a CO2 Leak

Quote Quoting mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    the extent of any claimed injury is a separate issue from whether or not co2 exposure occurred.
    ohio rc 4123.01

(c) "injury" includes any injury, whether caused by external accidental means or accidental in character and result, received in the course of, and arising out of, the injured employee's employment. "injury" does not include:

(1) psychiatric conditions except where the claimant's psychiatric conditions have arisen from an injury or occupational disease sustained by that claimant or where the claimant's psychiatric conditions have arisen from sexual conduct in which the claimant was forced by threat of physical harm to engage or participate;

Rock Knocker, if you think any of this applies in the OP case you are making some pretty big assumptions. Including that the treating doctors completely missed CO2 Poisoning and Heart Flutters.

Yes and he also said all they gave him were steroids. Hardly a treatment for CO2 poisoning or a heart flutter.

I posted the law. The panic attacks will not be covered.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Will not be covered by what? There's a good chance that they can be and would have been covered by workers' comp, even if due to anxiety from the exposure as opposed to the exposure itself.

Panic Attacks are a psychological condition. Even if they arise from the on the job injury they are not covered under Ohio RC 4123.01 (C)(1).

The first and in this case likely the second visits will probably be paid for but any further claim on them shouldn't be.

And that would be covered. But from the OPs on words the rest of his issues are based on panic attacks which aren't.

Quote Quoting Rock Knocker
    View Post
    Apparently you're not up on the dangers of CO^2. I'll post this again for you
    Well thank you for that. But apparently you are not aware of how rare Co2 poisoning is. Hold your breath for as long as you can and the sue yourself for CO2 poisoning.

That is how ridiculous your argument is.

Quote Quoting Rock Knocker
    View Post
    The OP stated they were taken in for gas exposure and lung iritation.
    Op made two trips to the Er. First was for panic attacks. Second visit, days later, was for “gaseous exposure”.

One would presume the Er was made aware of the situation at work that led to the panic attacks. They would have performed the necessary diagnostic tests, if they felt they were warranted, to invesrigate physical injury.

An Er is not likely to jump to exposure to extremely high concentrations of co2 without something to support that. Apparently the physical symptoms did not support the possibility.

She returned 1 1/2 days later and was then treated for gaseous exposure.

I susoedt the er provided treatment based on patient complaints and prescribed meds as an attempt to address the patients concerns rather than a verified need.

I don’t deny the incident as described could cause a very serious (as in deadly) situstion. I work in construction and am quite aware of confined space safety issues.

While the op was likely exposed to elevated levels of co2, the fact nobody else was injured (the op states the situstion was not addressed and may still be present as op said nothing of the leak being addressed) as well as the treatment described, it strongly suggests this was not an issue of exposure to extreme concentrations of co2.

So, since op states co2 defector still shows elevated levels of co2, op needs to contact either the fire department or OSHA. The situstion does need to be investigated and remedied if a danger.

Other than that op should continue medical treatment as the doctors direct and file the appropriate workers comp paperwork.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Yes and he also said all they gave him were steroids. Hardly a treatment for CO2 poisoning or a heart flutter.

im not a doctor but from what I do understand, steroids could be used to treat inflammation of the lung tissue. Such irritation could result from exposure to extreme concentrations of co2. As I stated before, I suspect the scrip was written more to address patient complaints than a verified need. If there was damage, the steroids would be beneficial for that. If no physical need, the scrip provides a psychological benefit to calm the patient and hopefully address the panic attacks.

My point was that if it was CO2 and a Heart flutter they would have done more than a steroid shot. In fact, and I'm not a doctor either, but I believe a steroid shot would be contraindicated if there was any type of a heart issue.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    My point was that if it was CO2 and a Heart flutter they would have done more than a steroid shot. In fact, and I'm not a doctor either, but I believe a steroid shot would be contraindicated if there was any type of a heart issue.
    it never stopped me from being given steroids

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2