Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation High School Student Left on a College Campus Without Transportation Back to School

My question involves education law in the State of:

My daughter attends a boarding school (high school) that has a program in which students are able to work with scientific researchers in their labs. She works with someone at a state college a few times a week and must be driven by a professor at her school to the college campus and back (1 hour apart). Recently, I recieved a call from one of her friends saying that she had been stuck on campus for an hour and no ride had came to take her back to school. Her boarding school does not allow students to have cell phones, but thankfully, she had taken her laptop to campus that day and was able to connect to the college's free wifi and message her friend on Facebook.

She waited at a bus stop in the in the cold weather for an hour and proceeded to sit on the stairs inside a parking garage for another two. Meanwhile, her high school had no idea that she wasn't on campus and that no staff member had picked her up, although she had email confirmation that a professor would be at her lab when she was finished with work. After I recieved her friend's call, I contacted the school, which then insisted on going through the "proper channels" to find her a ride back. After an hour of her waiting, it was dark outside and my teenage daughter was sitting alone, without a phone in a parking garage on a college campus.

I have attempted to work with her school on finding a solution to this issue for months now. Today I recieved an email saying that they would no longer consider her case or my requests. Can I press a lawsuit for negligence since she was under the school's care? If not, what can be done?

Default Re: Female Student Abandoned on College Campus by Her Boarding School (with No Phone)

In what US State did this occur?

And what are her damages?

Finally, keep in mind that cell phones are a fairly recent invention. She's not the first, nor the last, high school student to be stranded somewhere waiting for a ride.

Default Re: Female Student Abandoned on College Campus by Her Boarding School (with No Phone)

We live in Oklahoma.

She was not physically harmed aside from being in the freezing cold for hours. However, this issue has added to many others that have caused my daughter great emotional distress. Administrators have also been very hostile with her after we pushed for the issue to be solved and she no longer feels safe on campus.

Another student in her class has been left on campus five times to date. Each time the issue is presented to adminitration, they say that policy changes are "too extensive" for them to go through with and try to push the problem under the rug. This school is technically a department of the state and students sign contracts upon entrance if that makes any difference.

So once you pick up your child from the nearby college, take her home. It’s Apparent you as not comfortable with their procedures and their responses to serious issues. It sounds like it’s time to find another school.

How old is your child?

What time was she supposed to be picked up?

what time was she eventually picked up?

why didn’t she contact anybody at the college?

Her boarding school is over four hours away from our hometown, so all I could do was wait. If she leaves this school now, she will be set behind on graduation, as she is a senior and 17 years old.

Her ride was supposed to arrive at 4:30 p.m., but did not show until three hours later. She didn't contact anyone at the college becuase it was a Friday and most of the buildings were shut down by this time. She also knew that if her ride did arrive and she was not at the usual pick-up spot, she would be reprimanded.

Quote Quoting AlisonHarper
    View Post
    Her boarding school is over four hours away from our hometown, so all I could do was wait. If she leaves this school now, she will be set behind on graduation, as she is a senior and 17 years old.
    then apparently the issues at the school are bearable. There is a point where we weigh our options and choose what we believe is the best given our options.

Her ride was supposed to arrive at 4:30 p.m., but did not show until three hours later. She didn't contact anyone at the college becuase it was a Friday and most of the buildings were shut down by this time. She also knew that if her ride did arrive and she was not at the usual pick-up spot, she would be reprimanded.
    worried about being reprimanded? I would hope a 17 year old child would have enough wisdom to determine when to follow rules and when the situation says to not worry about the damn rules.

So she got got picked up 3 hours late. While I’m sure she was concerned, maybe scared, and worried, it sounds like once the school was alerted to the situation they did react in a reasonable time. Why I say that is you say it’s an hour drive from the school to the college. That makes it such they sent somebody out at about 6:30. You alerted the school at about 5:30. That means it took about an hour for the school to get things rolling. That is not all that excessive to get somebody headed out given the situation.

I have no idea why she didn’t get picked up on time. Do you? Was it simply an error or did something happen that prevented the driver from picking her up?

Anyway, I don’t reslly see much of anything, legally speaking, for you to do. She is remaining at the school so that suggests she isn’t so traumatized she just can’t continue with school. That means no court is likely to see this as much more than a nuisance.

Default Re: High School Student Left on a College Campus Without Transportation Back to Schoo

Quote Quoting AlisonHarper
    View Post
    ...althought she had email confirmation that a professor would be at her lab when she was finished with work.
    What did the school employee who sent that confirmation have to say about the issue, and why it occurred?

Default Re: High School Student Left on a College Campus Without Transportation Back to Schoo

He told me that it was his fault. They had a professor scheduled to pick her up, but he didn't and when the entire administration left the school, they had no idea that no one had gone for her.

I surely would push for some form of remedy of the problem, especially since it has happened to others.

maybe, if nothing else, the kids are issued a school owned phone to use for emergency purposes.

I would also suggest speaking with the administration of the involved college and seek suggestions from them as well. I suspect they would not knowingly allow a minor student to be left alone on their campus.

If my daughter leaves this school, she will lose all of her offers from colleges. Conditions at the school are not acceptable but she had to make it to the end of the year if she want to go to college. As far as being reprimanded, you do not know that conditions of this school and the overall situation. Being reprimanded is sometimes detrimental to these student's education. However, that is not the issue I am trying to get advice on.

The state has contractually bound to caring for each student at the school, since it is a state agency. My daughter was left in a very dangerious situation while under their care and they took nearly an hour for them to respond to the situation. As I stated before, this issue is on top of many others that have caused my child many mental breakdowns and other problems.

My concern is that the school neglected to care for her, as they were legally bound to do. Is this not grounds for a negligence claim?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast