Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Marring an American After a Visa Overstay

    If you came to the United States legally but over stayed your time allowed and you are going to marry your partner will that help you be able to stay in the U.S and become a citizen. We are a same sex couple if that matters still. We have a child together. My partner is Canadian and I am American. Our child is American as well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Marring an American

    If you entered legally, you can apply to adjust status and stay while that is pending. You should avoid leaving the country until you have a decision. It would behoove you to contact an immigration attorney. The fact you have a child means nothing. As long as you are legally married to a US citizen in a bona fide marriage should qualify you for a conditional green card.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Tourist Visas: Getting a Tourist Visa After a Prior Visa Denial, Brief Overstay
    By minara in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
  2. Unlawful Presence and Overstay: F1 Visa Overstay and Tourist Visa Denial
    By mxromen in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
  3. F Visas: F1 Visa Overstay and American Would Like to Marry. What Are Options for Re-Entry
    By Lisa Jovan in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
  4. Unlawful Presence and Overstay: Visa Overstay and Requesting Visa for Some Other Country
    By root_hacker in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 02:14 AM
  5. Removal (Deportation) and Reentry: Getting a Visa after > 1 Year Visa Waiver Overstay
    By kyrazbak in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources