Default Succeeding After Dropping Out of School

Hey! I dropped out of school at age 15. Then I did some serious studying and exams at age 18 and made it into a four-year university. After university, I worked for five years at a pretty high-paying job. I then went back to school and spent a year learning about HR management practices and employment law. I was certified in both areas and went on to a brilliant career a an HR executive. I retired at age 58 and now live in Mexico, having fun every day. So quitting high school is not always a Bad Thing.

Default Re: Massachusetts: 16 Year Old Dropout Without Parental Consent

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Hey! I dropped out of school at age 15. Then I did some serious studying and exams at age 18 and made it into a four-year university. After university, I worked for five years at a pretty high-paying job. I then went back to school and spent a year learning about HR management practices and employment law. I was certified in both areas and went on to a brilliant career a an HR executive. I retired at age 58 and now live in Mexico, having fun every day. So quitting high school is not always a Bad Thing.
    Stories like yours are rare. The fact the child dropped out of school without the parents knowledge. Tells me chances are slim to none their future will be a bright one.

View Post
    You dropped out of high school but didn’t really drop out of the educational system. If everybody that dropped out of school we wouldnt be so concerned about kids dropping out. The problem is: most kids don’t return to school, especially at the level you did.

There are always going to be the;;

wow, look at that person. They dropped out of high school and look st them now stories.

Richard Branson. Dropped out at 15
    David Karp (founder of tumblr)- 15

Several others- https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-school-2015-9

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...robert-de-niro

if we made a list of the kids who dropped out and never became what most would consider successful, Well, nobody wants to spend the rest of their life compiling such a list.

View Post
    Congratulations on your successes. Unfortunately today, a degree and more is required to get a resume reviewed even if the degree is not essential for the job.

I traveled a rather unorthodox but successful career path myself. I would not recommend it to others, however.

Default Re: Succeeding After Dropping Out of School

This is 2018. It is never a good idea or a wise move to drop out of high school. Where I live no one will hire someone for a decent minimum wage job without them still being in school, having a high school diploma or GED. There is also no going to a trade school or college without a diploma or GED.

I respect those that in years past made something of their lives after dropping out of high school. But, I wonder if they would have been as successful if they dropped out of high school in 2018 or in the future.

It is not unusual for students thinking of dropping out of high school to read the information on this site. Some became members. Please do not give them the idea that dropping out of high school is the things to do.

View Post
    quitting high school is not always a Bad Thing.
    My son dropped out of high school at 15, ran away from home, got in with a bad crowd, became a drug addict, committed crimes, has a prison record, and now at age 49 he's homeless, nobody will hire him except fly-by-night businesses that pay him barely enough to feed himself and he sleeps in a storage container where those businesses are located.

For every one of you that made a success of yourself there are hundreds, maybe thousands, like my son and you see many of them on street corners with signs begging for handouts.

Not impossible to succeed without a college or even high school degree, but things are stacked against you. Congratulations on putting the effort in to do so.
    Of course, the converse is certainly not the case. A sheepskin is no guarantee to anything. It's often just helps you get in the door.

My college roommate (and later co-worker) dropped out of college after being on academic probation for five semesters or something like that. He ended up working as a "clerk" (civilian) for the US Army. The problem was that the Federal government would never let him advance, despite the fact he was an accomplished computer scientist and even had OPM reviews (they followed him around for a week) that he was doing GS-11 work. After being turned down for a permanent position even at the GS-5 level, he got a letter from the OPM in DC telling him to stop doing the tasks that they claim he was incapable of doing (pissing off the people who did the audit no end). He finally took the hint and went out to work for a private employer who was more willing to look at his prior experience than what letters he had after his name.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    My son dropped out of high school at 15, ran away from home, got in with a bad crowd, became a drug addict, committed crimes, has a prison record, and now at age 49 he's homeless, nobody will hire him except fly-by-night businesses that pay him barely enough to feed himself and he sleeps in a storage container where those businesses are located.

For every one of you that made a success of yourself there are hundreds, maybe thousands, like my son and you see many of them on street corners with signs begging for handouts.
    Unfortunately, that number is in the millions. Many are not as lucky as your son. They do not have a job. They also do not have a covered or somewhat safe place to sleep at night. The problem is none of these kids see this in their future when they drop out. They see themselves as being one of the few success stories.

1. Sponsored Links