Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Landlord Return Half of a Security Deposit to a Tenant Who Was Added to a Lease

So let me ask this question.. I originally went in for my privately owned home I put down the security deposit in the first month's rent six months in my girlfriend moved in and did a new lease and put her name on the lease.. around Christmas I told her I was leaving she put my stuff out and change the locks.. I told the landlord that she had effectively evicted me and I wanted my security deposit back from the original lease since I'm the one that originally rent at the house .. She has gone back and told the landlord I don't know what now the landlord is telling me that the security deposit will have to be split between me and her can he do that?

Default Re: Can My Landlord Do This

Was this a year lease? If so, it would appear that you "broke" the lease by simply moving out. Your girlfriend didn't "evict" you. If she was added to the original lease and this lease remains in effect with the security deposit continuing with the lease until it would normally end. Then you had better hope said girlfriend doesn't leave the rental unit damaged or the issue of who gets what from the security deposit will certainly be a moot point.

Gail

Default Re: Can a Landlord Return Half of a Security Deposit to a Tenant Who Was Added to a L

You will have to read the lease that you signed to see what you agreed in relation to the return of the security deposit. You may have agreed that the deposit would be split between yourself and your ex-. It could also be that the landlord actually intends to return the deposit with a joint check, and let you and your ex- work out who is entitled to what.

You are not entitled to any money from the security deposit until the end of the lease term.

Default Re: Can a Landlord Return Half of a Security Deposit to a Tenant Who Was Added to a L

Quote Quoting oldfartWbeard
    View Post
    I was wondering when you let her move in did you consent by singing a amendment or something to show there was a change in your lease with her being added to the lease or did the LL just add her with out your signature ?
    yes she signed the new lease we both did..

Quote Quoting xx1293x
    View Post
    yes she signed the new lease we both did..
    Ok, then the security deposit stays until the end of the lease. You broke the lease by moving out.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You broke the lease by moving out.
    I think you misread the facts. Being a co-tenant on a lease does not require that you continue to live in the premises, and there is no indication that the other co-tenant has stopped paying rent.

She changed the locks so I cant return.. An i dont want anything to do with her anymore.. It was a 6 month lease that is up now.. It turns into a month to month.

Sue her for wrongful eviction and the other half of the deposit.

Thats Just what im going to do..

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Sue her for wrongful eviction and the other half of the deposit.
    You can't sue a co-tenant for wrongful eviction, because your co-tenant is not your landlord.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast