Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Liability of Doctor Prescribing Xanax to an Addict and Addict Od's

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    If your son has no medical insurance and no job. How did he pay the doctor and for his prescriptions ?
    There are free/sliding scale clinics working in tandem with local (sometimes in-house) pharmacies all around the nation providing care and medication to low- and no income patients.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

He had a job and he had insurance. But because he got worse and worse over time, he lost his job just recently. So he paid cash with what little money he left for the last prescription. As for the medical records, I am sure he will give me access to get the records. However, as I said at the beginning of this thread, I just took him to Rehab 36 hours ago. He can't have phone contact or visitors right now. Once I can talk with him then I can get permission to get that information. I think that many of you don't realize but an addict will lie and steal to stay on the street and using. Once an addict comes to gripes with the fact that they have hit the bottom, become able to see and admit to themselves they need treatment, then they don't have any reason to lie. I am sure that not everyone is that way but most that really want help become that way. I didn't have to beat him or put him through waterboarding to find out what was going on. He told me....

So basically, you don't know if the doctor knew of the addiction; you don't know what your son told him; you don't know how and when your son took the pills or if he got them from other doctors as well, but somehow THIS doctor was supposed to magically divine that he was an addict and refuse to prescribe for him? By osmosis somehow? And he's negligent because he didn't? I see.

cbg,

Why does it matter what he disclosed to the doctor. I do know that he went to the same doctor for 10 or 11 months. You are clearly part of the problem and not part of the solution. I do expect a doctor to ask questions if they give out a prescription for a highly addictive drug and the patient continually comes back for a refill and the patients symptoms never get better. Seriously....you think a person should be able to go to a doctor and ask for Oxy or Benzo because they told the Doc they feel bad or they have nervousness and the doctor should just give them an endless supply of refills WITH NO IMPROVEMENT over 11 months?

That is part of whats wrong with the Medical profession. I could really care less if my kid gets a penny from this doctor. Its too late for him. He is in rehab and he will get better and I will pay for his Rehab bill. What I want to do is save the next person from getting a "automatic" refill of a highly addictive drug from a Doctor who really doesn't give a shit about the patient but merely wants to write another prescription to get paid.

I expect accountability from the Doctor to say to a patent after continually prescribing refills of a highly addictive drug....."MAYBE WE SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT DRUG" "THIS ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE HELPING" "I DON"T WANT YOU TO BECOME ADDICTED TO XANAX".....I don't know but any combination of those would be what I was "EXPECTING".

Let's put it this way.....I bet if I put a $100 bill on the sidewalk in from of your home you would pick it up and never ask a question about where it came. And if I kept dropping $100 bills in front you would continue to pick them up and spend them. And you would begin to expect that I put a $100 bill out front. Does that mean you have a problem? Did I become an enabler to your problem. Your probably a very smart well educated person but I guarantee that you would become addicted to getting the $100 and come to expect it. You would not tell anyone either....

Quote Quoting Retsyo99
    View Post
    cbg,

Why does it matter what he disclosed to the doctor.
    Are you seriously asking that question or are you being sarcastic? It should be obvious.

I do know that he went to the same doctor for 10 or 11 months. You are clearly part of the problem and not part of the solution. I do expect a doctor to ask questions if they give out a prescription for a highly addictive drug and the patient continually comes back for a refill and the patients symptoms never get better. Seriously....you think a person should be able to go to a doctor and ask for Oxy or Benzo because they told the Doc they feel bad or they have nervousness and the doctor should just give them an endless supply of refills WITH NO IMPROVEMENT over 11 months?
    ... and you clearly don't understand anything about mental health, or chronic psych conditions. How you think it works is NOT how it actually works.

That is part of whats wrong with the Medical profession. I could really care less if my kid gets a penny from this doctor. Its too late for him. He is in rehab and he will get better and I will pay for his Rehab bill. What I want to do is same the next person from getting a "automatic" refill of a highly addictive drug from a Doctor who really doesn't give a shit about the patient but merely wants to write another prescription to get paid.
    Call your congressperson.

I expect accountability from the Doctor to say to a patent after continually prescribing refills of a highly addictive drug....."MAYBE WE SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT DRUG" "THIS ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE HELPING" "I DON"T WANT YOU TO BECOME ADDICTED TO XANAX".....I don't know but any combination of those would be what I was "EXPECTING".

Let's put it this way.....I bet if I put a $100 bill on the sidewalk in from of your home you would pick it up and never ask a question about where it came. And if I kept dropping $100 bills in front you would continue to pick them up and spend them. And you would begin to expect that I put a $100 bill out front. Does that mean you have a problem? Did I become an enabler to your problem. Your probably a very smart well educated person but I guarantee that you would become addicted to getting the $100 and come to expect it. You would not tell anyone either....
    You are rude, and you are ignorant. I suggest you hire an attorney for your ADULT child who is the only person responsible for his actions.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I am not trying to be rude and I definitely am not ignorant. In fact, I am quite well educated. I understand that he may or may not have disclosed his prior addiction to Xanax. But at some point if you keep giving a patient the same drug with no improvement, why wouldn't you think something does not seem right here. Maybe we should try something different.

You really can't see why it matters?

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt...

With the dosage being stable, odds are the patient was telling the doctor that he had severe anxiety, that Xanax was effective at controlling his anxiety, and that there was no reason to be concerned about dependency because he was taking the medication as instructed and was not becoming tolerant.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    There are free/sliding scale clinics working in tandem with local (sometimes in-house) pharmacies all around the nation providing care and medication to low- and no income patients.
    Due to the high rate of abuse. It is rare for a doctor that is not a psychiatrist, to prescribe Xanax in one of these clinics. Those that do won't prescribe for a patient they do not know well .

Quote Quoting Retsyo99
    View Post
    I am not trying to be rude and I definitely am not ignorant. In fact, I am quite well educated. I understand that he may or may not have disclosed his prior addiction to Xanax. But at some point if you keep giving a patient the same drug with no improvement, why wouldn't you think something does not seem right here. Maybe we should try something different.
    Chances are excellent your son told the doctor the medication was working. Doctors are not mind readers. Information a patient gives a doctor is vital to the diagnosis and treatment a doctor gives a patient. In addition sometimes it takes a while for a medication to produce the affects a patient and a doctor are aiming for.

I know how addicts lie. That is why I said you needed to get a copy of your sons medical records directly. If they go through your sons hands. He might tamper with them. Your son will have to sign a Release Form in order for the doctors office to release the medical records to you.You will have to contact the doctors office directly. There will also be a fee for copying and mailing the medical records to you..

I do not see any attorney taking this case. But, if one does. Are you aware of how much it will cost you or your son ? It will not be cheap.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2