Default How to Make a Foreign Divorce Effective in the United States

I married in 1993 in New York City. Marriage was subsequently registered in Italy.
    In 2017 I legally divorced with sentence by Italian court.
    What do I need to do to make the divorce effective also in the US?

Thanks in advance for your help.

forgot to mention that I am dual national (US - Italy) , my ex-wife is an Italian citizen

Default Re: Married in Us, Divorced in Italy

Quote Quoting cp7311
    View Post
    I married in 1993 in New York City. Marriage was subsequently registered in Italy.
    In 2017 I legally divorced with sentence by Italian court.
    What do I need to do to make the divorce effective also in the US?

Thanks in advance for your help.

forgot to mention that I am dual national (US - Italy) , my ex-wife is an Italian citizen
    There is nothing additional that you need to do to make the divorce effective in the US. The US recognizes all legal marriages and all legal divorces done in other countries. You do not need to register the divorce in the US or anything else. Just make sure that you have a copy of the paperwork.

Thanks for this

You may find it useful to have the document translated into English in case you need to show it here.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You may find it useful to have the document translated into English in case you need to show it here.
    That is not a bad idea at all. It would be helpful if it was a certified translation.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    The US recognizes all legal marriages and all legal divorces done in other countries.
    While every state, so far as I know, would certainly recognize an Italian divorce decree, it cannot be said that every state would recognize ALL marriages and divorces that might be legal in some other country. There are some marriages, for example, that might be legal elsewhere but that would violate the public of policy of the state and thus the state would not recognize. For example, I think most, if not all, states would refuse to recognize a marriage between two ten year-olds or between a brother and sister. All this to say that the details really do matter. The vast majority of marriages and divorces done in other countries will be recognized. But there are a few that will not.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    While every state, so far as I know, would certainly recognize an Italian divorce decree, it cannot be said that every state would recognize ALL marriages and divorces that might be legal in some other country. There are some marriages, for example, that might be legal elsewhere but that would violate the public of policy of the state and thus the state would not recognize. For example, I think most, if not all, states would refuse to recognize a marriage between two ten year-olds or between a brother and sister. All this to say that the details really do matter. The vast majority of marriages and divorces done in other countries will be recognized. But there are a few that will not.
    Are there any countries that recognize marriage between two children or between siblings?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Are there any countries that recognize marriage between two children or between siblings?
    It appears that the answer is yes, which is why I mentioned it.

Iran evidently allows marriages for children as young as 9. Yemen and Micronesia have no statute with a minimum age for marriage. And some countries like India, while having a marriage age that is older (18 for women, 21 for men in India), marriages at younger ages are recognized unless the person who was under the marriage age petitions for annullment.

There are also nations that have eliminated laws that bar most or all incest, including but not limited to Portugal, Spain, and Serbia. Thus it is my understanding that an incestual marriage would not be illegal.

1. Sponsored Links