Default Charged With Exhibition of Speed for Peeling Out of My Workplace Plaza, 23109(C) CVC

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of California

I was just charged for violating code 23109 (c) CVC for peeling out of the plaza of my workplace. At the time I was driving a '15 Dodge Challenger and had opened up the throttle while making a right hand turn from the lot to the main Street right after a frustrating day at work.

I admitted to the officer that I "just wanted to see what the car could do" as I also just recently purchased the car (yeah pretty dumb to have bought a new car and already received a citation). It's also been cited as a misdemeanor instead of a traffic infraction.

I'm due to the Superior Court on March 9th and I'm pretty scared of what's going to happen. I'm only 18 years old with this being my first traffic offense. I panicked a bit when the officer said that I was to report to the Superior Court instead of the traffic court. I also read about the penalties I could receive and my heart dropped when I saw a 90 day jail time.

I understand that I was being young and dumb but Im terrified of going to jail. I'm still attending high school and having to go to jail for 3 months will absolutely murder my grades. I've had a squeaky clean driving record until now. What do you guys think? Will I go to jail for this?

Default Re: Charged With Speed Contest for Peeling Out of My Workplace Plaza, 23109(C) CVC

Unless you have prior criminal offenses, I doubt that jail time is likely. However, it will likely be expensive. Not to mention your insurance costs are going to get a hard hit. I believe that a license suspension is also a possibility. An attorney would likely be a good idea. It will cost you more up front, but could save you some money in the long run.

Default Re: Charged With Speed Contest for Peeling Out of My Workplace Plaza, 23109(C) CVC

Quote Quoting Strigon118
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of California

I was just charged for violating code 23109 (c) CVC for peeling out of the plaza of my workplace. At the time I was driving a '15 Dodge Challenger and had opened up the throttle while making a right hand turn from the lot to the main Street right after a frustrating day at work.
    Dumb and dangerous.

I admitted to the officer that I "just wanted to see what the car could do" as I also just recently purchased the car (yeah pretty dumb to have bought a new car and already received a citation). It's also been cited as a misdemeanor instead of a traffic infraction.
    Reckless and exhibition of speed cases often are. It is possible that the DA will punt and send it to the court as an infraction.

I'm due to the Superior Court on March 9th and I'm pretty scared of what's going to happen. I'm only 18 years old with this being my first traffic offense. I panicked a bit when the officer said that I was to report to the Superior Court instead of the traffic court. I also read about the penalties I could receive and my heart dropped when I saw a 90 day jail time.
    As previously mentioned, jail time is unlikely. Though, a temporary license suspension and probation are possible.

Oh, and mom and dad (or you) will see a nice bump in insurance payments.

1. Sponsored Links