Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is a Service Center's Liable for Damage to a Rusted Vehicle During a Lift

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I don't imagine that you have damage coverage on a 1999 rust bucket.

Have you asked the store to pay for your damage?

If not, what have you got to lose by asking?
    Right, if they give you $500 or $1000, that could be used as a down payment on a "new" or "new to you" vehicle.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Is a Service Center's Liable for Damage to a Rusted Vehicle During a Lift

The key is going to be whether the damage was hidden, obvious, or something in between. Due care would be the standard and industry standards and practices would govern what that due care is. I know the Sam's in my area is pretty thorough in doing things right, including actually torqueing the lugs rather than just letting an impact wrench pound away for a few seconds. So I know they have standards their folks are supposed to follow. Whether this person followed their standards is something nobody here can know.

Yes, I will be contacting the garage management. I'm sure that they will want to examine the vehicle and the damage. Like Who said, if they will offer me some cash up front or maybe a voucher for a set of new tires, that'd be fine with me, I'll forget about it and move on.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, I just feel that I was wronged and want to make it right is all. But I would hate to see this young fellow lose his job over this.

Chevy

Quote Quoting chevy chaser
    View Post
    Yes, I will be contacting the garage management. I'm sure that they will want to examine the vehicle and the damage. Like Who said, if they will offer me some cash up front or maybe a voucher for a set of new tires, that'd be fine with me, I'll forget about it and move on.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, I just feel that I was wronged and want to make it right is all. But I would hate to see this young fellow lose his job over this.

Chevy
    He will not lose his job. The other guys may break his balls over it for the next few years, but he isn't going to get fired.

Whatever you do, do not tell them you were only going to keep the van for a few more months and get something new. Let them think this is the only transportation that you have and let them offer you something.

OK, I called this Sam's Club yesterday afternoon. I was referred to a manager, didn't get the guy's name (oops) and I gave him my version of these events. He said that he would have to interview the technicians that were working on that particular day and examine the video tapes, which I didn't realize they did. I gave him my home phone number and that was about it. The only comment that he had was "it took you awhile to bring this up to us"...I told him that I had to think about this for a time to digest it.

We'll see what happens now.

Well it's been over 2 weeks now and no response. I probably should call them back. I suppose it's too much to ask to actually get an answer especially when there is a possibility that this will cost them some of their "precious profits".

OK, I called Sam's Club yesterday morning and they wanted me to bring the van down for photos of the damage, which they took and I signed a claim form. They called me once out of a Bentonville, Ark. claims dept. to say that a manager would be calling me and then right after that, the manager from Sam's did call. He said that he is authorized to give me up to a $500.00 Sam's card if that would cover my losses. I told him that I would think it over for a day or so and let him know.

I think that this is fair. $500.00 is more than I had when I started. If I go through their insurance, this could drag out for sometime, I would expect.

Thoughts?

I think that the insurance company would give you book value for the van, and that may be about $500? Consider that after taking the $500 from the insurance company, you're now left without a van.

As you were about to get rid of the van in a few months time, and most likely you weren't going to get a dime for it, I say take the card.

Remember, you may think that a car dealer would give you $500 or $2500 for the van, but in reality, that car dealer is giving you nothing. The dealer will find a way to place that money they give you into your payment.

Agreed!!!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2