Default Can an Injured Passenger Recover Compensation from the Driver

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Kentucky
    Was seriously injured in accident, at fault driver (other vehicle) had no insurance. Seeking settlement from the driver of car in which I was riding. Is there a possibility they will pay for pain and suffering?Also, am I eligible for their UMI coverage if I am a relative?

Policy limits are 25,000/50,000 per accident. Had 4 broken ribs, stayed in hospital two days and bill was $34,000.

Default Re: Injured Passenger

Have you lawyered up yet?

Default Re: Injured Passenger

Quote Quoting slomoore
    View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Kentucky
    Was seriously injured in accident, at fault driver (other vehicle) had no insurance. Seeking settlement from the driver of car in which I was riding. Is there a possibility they will pay for pain and suffering?Also, am I eligible for their UMI coverage if I am a relative?

Policy limits are 25,000/50,000 per accident. Had 4 broken ribs, stayed in hospital two days and bill was $34,000.
    If your driver wasn't at fault, his policy's Liability coverage will pay you nothing.

But, yes, as a passenger you are covered by his Uninsured Motorists coverage. Uninsured Motorists coverage does include pain and suffering but with $34,000 in medical bills and only a $25,000 per person limit, there is not enough to pay all your medical bills let alone any more for pain and suffering.

Fortunately, Kentucky appears to allow stacking of Uninsured Motorists coverage. If you have your own auto policy, or are covered under somebody else's policy, that has Uninsured Motorists coverage you could, theoretically, collect enough from both policies to cover all your bills and something for pain and suffering.

If you do seek an attorney I suggest you be real careful about negotiating his percentage because if he takes 1/3 off the top you'll be left with barely enough to cover your medical bills and he'll get the rest.

1. Sponsored Links