Default Answering Questions About Criminal History on a Dental School Application

My question involves criminal records for the state of: FL

Have you been convicted, pleaded guilty or entered a plea of nolo contendere, or received probation without verdict, accelerated rehabilitative disposition (ARD) or received any other disposition (excluding acquittal or dismissal) of any criminal charges, felony or misdemeanor, including any DUI/DWI, drug law violations, or are there any criminal charges pending and unresolved against you in any state or jurisdiction

My records are sealed in NY and this is a question for dental school. What I don't understand is this, "Is seeking to be employed or licensed by or to contract with the Department of Children and Family Services, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation within the Department of Education, the Agency for Health Care Administration, the Agency for Persons with Disabilities, the Department of Health, the Department of Elderly Affairs, or the Department of Juvenile Justice or to be employed or used by such contractor or licensee in a sensitive position having direct contact with children, the disabled, or the elderly;" ---does this include dental school where during clinicals I might work with the elderly or children?

Default Re: How Would I Answer Such a

It's pretty clear they want disclosure of sealed offenses. It's good that they are asking now, because indeed some crimes will block you from being licensed (varies with the state) and there's no point is spending all the time and effort in dental school (or law school or criminal justice school etc....) for a job you will be barred from actually being employed in.

What context does the quote in the second paragraph come form.

Default Re: How Would I Answer Such a

The true answer to the first question is, yes.

And yes it wouldn't be unusual for a dental school to work one or more of those agencies while you are doing your clinicals. And because you are going to be working though those agencies there is a very good chance they are going to be able to access your sealed records.

1. Sponsored Links