Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is a Conviction for a Violation a Criminal Conviction in New York State

My question involves criminal records for the state of: NY

Have you ever been convicted of a crime excluding minor traffic violations?

I was convicted of a violation (disorderly conduct)

Default Re: How Would I Answer This

Disorderly conduct is not a traffic violation (minor or otherwise).

Your answer is:

"Yes, I was convicted of a violation (disorderly conduct)."

Default Re: How Would I Answer This

It is better to tell then be denied because you excluded it on the application.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Is a Conviction for a Violation a Criminal Conviction in New York State

Violations are classified as petty offenses in New York, and a conviction for a violation is not a criminal conviction. See the definitions of "crime" and "violation in Sec. 10 of the penal code.

Default Re: Is a Conviction for a Violation a Criminal Conviction in New York State

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Violations are classified as petty offenses in New York, and a conviction for a violation is not a criminal conviction. See the definitions of "crime" and "violation in Sec. 10 of the penal code.
    A violation is not a crime but a Penal Law violation is a criminal violation and will certainly appear on a criminal history.

Under the Penal Code, as linked above, "'Crime' means a misdemeanor or a felony". A violation is not a misdemeanor or felony, and is thus not a crime.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    A violation is not a misdemeanor or felony, and is thus not a crime.
    Which is what I said. However, a Penal LAW violation will end up on a criminal history.

A New York Statewide criminal history record search (CHRS) will not produce records of non-criminal offenses, meaning it will not include infractions or violations. I'm not sure what "criminal history" you intend to reference with your statements.

When I run a criminal history on someone violations DO show up - both in the original charges and in dispositions.

Penal Law violations such as Disorderly Conduct, Harassment, Trespass, etc. are criminal in nature - just not crimes. They will show up in a criminal history.

I can't speak for whatever it is that you're 'running', but if you believe that violations show up in a statewide CHRS, you are simply wrong. They do not.
    Quote Quoting New York State Courts, Introduction to the CHRS
    The report does not include case dispositions for ‘non-criminal offenses’ (e.g., Violations, Infractions).

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast