Default Can You Be Held Responsible for Disregarding a Stop Sign You Didn't See

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Florida. Hello I was involved in a minor accident while backing up in a parking lot. I never saw a stop sign that was located at MY parking spot. I never did get out of my car, my husband did. I never saw that stop sign. Shouldn't they have to put a stop sign up that's easily seen? They gave me a ticket for,"backing limitations!" I've never heard of that before. Along with everybody else I know.

Please let me know what my recourse would be? Ty for your input!

Default Re: Stop Sign in Parking Lot(Unable to See Driving in from the Side of Building)

I never saw a stop sign that was located at MY parking spot. I never did get out of my car, my husband did. I never saw that stop sign.
    Obviously it was there. You just weren't looking properly.

But I don't think the stop sign has anything to do with it (Unless it was the stop sign that you hit).

Backing up and hitting something means you are at fault because you would have seen what you hit (and avoided hitting it) if you had been properly looking.

They gave me a ticket for,"backing limitations!" I've never heard of that before. Along with everybody else I know.
    Here's the part that counts.

316.1985 Limitations on backing.
    (1) The driver of a vehicle shall not back the same unless such movement can be made with safety
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...0316.1985.html

That you or everybody else you know never heard of it doesn't mean much.

Default Re: Can You Be Held Responsible for Disregarding a Stop Sign You Didn't See

Like Jack, I am really confused about the circumstances you are trying to describe. I cannot envision why a stop sign would be posted for a parking space or how it would be relevant to a collision while you were backing. Regardless, if you collided with another vehicle, person, or object while backing, 99.9999% of the time, you are at fault due to having committed a backing violation. The circumstances would need to be VERY unusual (like spaceships from Mars unusual) for that not to be the case.

Default Re: Can You Be Held Responsible for Disregarding a Stop Sign You Didn't See

Quote Quoting kimmymallen@gmail.com
    View Post
    I never saw that stop sign. Shouldn't they have to put a stop sign up that's easily seen?
    You apparently were not cited for disobeying the stop sign, so the issue of you not seeing it is pretty much irrelevant... but the scenario you made a half-hearted attempt to describe is not at all clear and has me wondering what really happened.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    You apparently were not cited for disobeying the stop sign, so the issue of you not seeing it is pretty much irrelevant... but the scenario you made a half-hearted attempt to describe is not at all clear and has me wondering what really happened.
    I think she ran the stop sign over?

1. Sponsored Links