Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Employees That Can Speak English but They Be Speaking Spanish when We Are at Work

As I said, English only practices FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES are fine. It's when they spread into lunch, breaks, and private conversations that it's a problem.

Default Re: Employees That Can Speak English but They Be Speaking Spanish when We Are at Work

About 7 years ago a Spanish guy complained to HR about the English-Only Policy. HR basically told him to deal with it. He was pissed, but to this date, only speaks English while on company property.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    As I said, English only practices FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES are fine. It's when they spread into lunch, breaks, and private conversations that it's a problem.
    But the privet conversation part is where people think they're being talked about. This apply's to the lunchroom too. I know what you mean about people thinking that they're being talked about, but it does happen and HR must take that employees issue and deal with it too.

It is easier for the company to enforce an English Speaking Policy while on company property, this includes the lunchroom too then deal with each employee that says that this employee was speaking about then in another language.

Fine. You go ahead and enforce your policy, which is in violation of already settled law. You can repeat all the reasons you want for why it's a good policy. The fact remains that it's an illegal policy. All your reasons aren't going to change that. If your HR folks don't know any better, then that's too bad for you all hiring folks who don't know the law. You can go ahead and beat your chest and declare the EEOC will lose if they go up against you, but they've already won cases on this issue. It's a shame your HR folks aren't doing their job.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post

EEOC can file what they wish, they will not win. I'm sure it has been tried before.
    The EEOC or an upset employee can file and they might win. Just because large company does it does not mean the company isnít violating the law. The federal government routinely takes on big corporations and it wins against them in many cases. As you favor the companyís policy, Iím not surprised you are a bit biased in thinking that the policy is beyond challenge. But it is not guaranteed your employer would win if a serious challenge were mounted. A lot depends on the details and the jury hearing the case.

View Post
    The company's key word is "safety".

I'm in a warehouse and see a hot water heater that weighs 250 lbs. and is packaged in a crate fall from a very high shelf. There are several English only speaking employee's under that shelf. I yell in Italian, Attenzione!

EEOC can file what they wish, they will not win. I'm sure it has been tried before.
    Thatís very different than a personal conversation between two employees.

View Post

It is easier for the company to enforce an English Speaking Policy while on company property, this includes the lunchroom too then deal with each employee that says that this employee was speaking about then in another language.
    Since when dones it become legal just because it’s easier?

When I was an administrator at a large State University system, I had a couple of guys working for me who spoke Chinese. It was very handy when dealing with some of the student (and faculty for that matter) base.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3