Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Minor Ticketed for Driving with No License

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

You will know more about the matter at the arraignment (your first court hearing). It is exceedingly unusual to charge these as misdemeanors because they become expensive (you'd have a right to a jury trial and court-appointed legal counsel) and the DA would have to get involved. Misdemeanor charges for VC 12500(a) are often reserved for multiple repeat offenders. An infraction is cheaper and results in much the same fines without the added expense.

Juveniles are not entitled to jury trials so there is no reason for the offense to be reduced to an infraction although the court *might.* As to his license, DMV will suspend/delay regardless of what the court does.

True, a jury trial is not going to happen in Juvenile Court, but a trial with an assigned prosecutor, appointed counsel, and the potential for pricy Probation reports and incarceration in very overcrowded juvenile facilities is also not likely to happen. There's no need. The infraction is cheaper, is handled in Traffic Court in most counties, and results in fines without the added expenses of a criminal trial. I cannot recall the time I saw a misdemeanor filing in a juvenile 12500(a) matter. Like with adults, unless the driver is a multiple repeat offender, it is unlikely to be charged as anything more than an infraction. In some counties, it won't happen at all, even with multiple offenses ... they'll wait until a couple of suspensions and file when he's violated VC 14601 (driving on a suspended license) a couple times.

Thank you for helping me out, I really appreciate it, now I just hope for the best to happen. Now I jut have to wait and see. I'll reply saying what I get in the mail once I get it

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2