Default Can Two Houses Be on the Same Water Line

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas
    So this is about the water company not my "landlord" I just didn't see another applicable place to put it. So my uncle owns his own land. My dad moved his RV on my uncles property & he paid him $20 a month to share my uncles water. So they was only on one meter.
    Well my dad passed away & a couple months ago I started coming up here, staying for a couple weeks at a time to keep up the trailer & make sure nobody tried to break in.
    One day the water people were up here & saw me. They informed my uncle that I would have to get my own water through them or they would cut his water on January 1st 2018. And that means, buying & laying no telling how many hundreds of feet worth of pipes because I am far from the road & that involves renting a ditch digger. I'm estimating at least $500 to do all that. And considering my water bill MIGHT be $5 a month this is LUDICROUS!!
    So can the water company really make me do this & turn off his water if I don't? Is it really illegal for two properties to be on one water meter?

Default Re: Can Two Houses Be on Same Water Line

Quote Quoting Plh75231
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas
    So this is about the water company not my "landlord" I just didn't see another applicable place to put it. So my uncle owns his own land. My dad moved his RV on my uncles property & he paid him $20 a month to share my uncles water. So they was only on one meter.
    Well my dad passed away & a couple months ago I started coming up here, staying for a couple weeks at a time to keep up the trailer & make sure nobody tried to break in.
    One day the water people were up here & saw me. They informed my uncle that I would have to get my own water through them or they would cut his water on January 1st 2018. And that means, buying & laying no telling how many hundreds of feet worth of pipes because I am far from the road & that involves renting a ditch digger. I'm estimating at least $500 to do all that. And considering my water bill MIGHT be $5 a month this is LUDICROUS!!
    So can the water company really make me do this & turn off his water if I don't? Is it really illegal for two properties to be on one water meter?
    Yep, they can really do that. You can move the RV off the property if you prefer.

Default Re: Can Two Houses Be on Same Water Line

Whether or not they require a separate water meter for each building, residential unit, or for an RV parked on the property would depend on the tariffs. Tariffs are required for all public utilities. They are the rules that say who, what, where, and how much service costs. Depending on the size of the utility, you may be able to access them online. If this is a small town water company, then the rates and requirements would be found in an ordinance that the town passes.

In any event, I would get a copy and read them to see what rules say that an RV parked on your uncle's property requires a separate meter. The property is not subdivided and an RV is not a permanent structure.

And as long as the bills are being paid for the water used, they likely can't shut off your uncle's water. You are not your uncle.

Your $500 estimate is way low. You haven't considered what are called corporation valve (connection) fees. They can run very high. Those are the fees the utility will charge for opening up the road and making the connection to the main. You will also be billed for a minimum usage per month or quarter (depending on the tariffs). That would be much more than your $5 estimate. Ask your uncle what a minimum bill is.

Default Re: Can Two Houses Be on the Same Water Line

Quote Quoting Plh75231
    View Post

One day the water people were up here & saw me.
    What water people? The guy who reads the meter? Someone else?

Quote Quoting Plh75231
    View Post
    They informed my uncle
    Who is "they?"

How did they inform your uncle? In writing, citing an authority for their assertions? Or just sayso?

Quote Quoting Plh75231
    View Post

I think a little pushback by your uncle is in order since he is owner of the proper. I suggest he demand something in writing from someone in authority who can cite some authority for what they are telling him, lest it just be a ploy to get another water customer or some bureaucrat puffing out his chest.

The Texas Public Utility Commission might also be some help.

http://www.puc.texas.gov/

I’m having a hard time justifying their demands. You are in a mobile/temporary unit and their is a valid water service to the land. I don’t see the basis or even ability to set a water service for the RV. I would dig deep into the rules in play before spending a penny.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

This doesn't make sense.

Why would "the water people" be anywhere near the location that you describe? The utilities property ends at the meter and your uncle's property is all of the rest, including the water that he purchases from the utility. As long as he's paying the bills there really isn't much they can do, legally, and they really shouldn't care.

As to the cost you describe for installing pipe several hundred feed, to say nothing of the connection cost: you are laughably low.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links