Default Company is Sharing Personal Information and Making False Accusations on Facebook

My question involves defamation in the state of: Virginia

My business closed in July of this year. Prior to us closing I tried to make arrangements to pay one of our suppliers but they would not accept monthly payments. My business nor I had any money to finish paying them once all of the business assets were sold (the company was an LLC). Once I told them this they sent lawyers after us and obtained a judgment against the business (the judge would not allow them to put it against me personally since they did not have a personal guarantee signed). Since them the company has been posting things to Facebook and publishing my full name (and now also my 11 year old son's) saying they had to change their policy due to MY unethical business practices and have been responding to numerous comments that me and my son are deadbeats.

This is my question; Is a business allowed to post and make written comments that harass and demean me (and my son) personally?

I would almost understand if the company posted something about my company but to personally attack me and my son I feel is harassment. I need to know what to do because even though my profile is set to private if anyone (including employers) put in my name the comments from this company come up in the search. Please Help!!!!

Default Re: Company Sharing Personal Information and Making False Accusations on Facebook,

It's easier to pierce the corporate veil with a facebook post than with a legal action. Alas, it would appear that the posts are not false. Your personal business did stiff them for the money. That's bad business practice and being a deadbeat. It will be hard to prevail in a libel action given the facts. The fact that you are harassed or demeaned isn't necessarily actionable.

Further, I suggest you let it go. First, it will cost you money you don't have to fight. The great attorney Louis Nizer equated such legal actions as if he had mud splashed on his suit. If you try to clean it away while it is fresh, you will just streak your clothes and the stain will be with you forever. But if you do nothing and wait until the mud dries, you could flick it off and it would leave no mark.

You'd have a better chance making complaint to facebook. They may especially be interested in the dissemination of information on minors.

Default Re: Company Sharing Personal Information and Making False Accusations on Facebook,

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    It's easier to pierce the corporate veil with a facebook post than with a legal action. Alas, it would appear that the posts are not false. Your personal business did stiff them for the money. That's bad business practice and being a deadbeat. It will be hard to prevail in a libel action given the facts. The fact that you are harassed or demeaned isn't necessarily actionable.

Further, I suggest you let it go. First, it will cost you money you don't have to fight. The great attorney Louis Nizer equated such legal actions as if he had mud splashed on his suit. If you try to clean it away while it is fresh, you will just streak your clothes and the stain will be with you forever. But if you do nothing and wait until the mud dries, you could flick it off and it would leave no mark.

You'd have a better chance making complaint to facebook. They may especially be interested in the dissemination of information on minors.
    I agree entirely, but if one was able to respond to the facebook post about the son being a deadbeat, it might not be a bad idea to point out that he is a minor child.

I didn't say RESPOND to the facebook post (in fact, I recommend he NOT do that PERIOD), I said report the item to facebook because it contains the minor child information.
    They're really sensitive to that sort of thing. I spent some time talking to their child-protection group a few years ago when I was considering working there.

1. Sponsored Links