Default What Are the Consequences of Unknowingly Pawning Stolen Property

My brother was sold a guitar at a lower price then what the guitar is worth, he bought it knowing that he could make a huge profit for reselling or pawning the item. It turns out that the guitar is stolen property but he truly didn't know it was stolen..what is going to happen to him?

Default Re: What Are the Repercussions of Unknowingly Pawning Stolen Property

What state is your brother in?

We live in iowa. Linn county

At best, he will lose the guitar and the money he paid for it. At worst, he could be charged with receiving stolen goods. All the facts matter. There should have been a big red flag if he could buy the guitar far below fair market value and think he could sell it at the market price.

Yeah, that's what I thought but it was from one of his good friends and his buddy was indicating that due to their relationship as good friends is the reasoning behind the low price

Also, if it came down to it, my brother may have solid, concrete evidence of who took it via camera from the store. But will he go to jail?

We don't have a crystal ball that foretells the future. It will depend on the facts and what the prosecutor believes what your brother says. If this escalates, he should consult with a criminal law attorney.

Ha, yeah, I'm aware of that otherwise I'd be trying to consult with a fortune teller. I don't have the awareness or expertise in the subject area that you do so I'm sure some of my questions aren't the best in quality. I assumed it would be a messy situation and he'd probably end en going to jail for the night until being released with a court date the next day and that will be the step where he begins proving his innocence but I wasn't for sure. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it

1. Sponsored Links