Default Is Bank Liable if They Attached a New Debit Card to Wrong Bank Account

My question involves personal finance in the State of: Hawaii

My bank replaced my debit card (which has always and only for five years been attached to MY bank account). and mistakenly attached it to my husband's bank account (he has his own debit card on that account and at some point added my name to the bank account to make it a joint bank account. ​ His name only appears on his debit card and my name only appears on my debit card. I have never used the joint account. This error was just discovered and has caused some HUGE problems. Is the bank liable?

Default Re: Is Bank Libel if They Attached New Debit Card to Wrong Bank Account

Quote Quoting ladybird77
    View Post
    My question involves personal finance in the State of: Hawaii

My bank replaced my debit card (which has always and only for five years been attached to MY bank account). and mistakenly attached it to my husband's bank account (he has his own debit card on that account and at some point added my name to the bank account to make it a joint bank account. ​ His name only appears on his debit card and my name only appears on my debit card. I have never used the joint account. This error was just discovered and has caused some HUGE problems. Is the bank liable?
    What kind of huge problems did it cause? The bank might be liable for NSF charges and things of that nature.

That really depends on what the huge problems are.

I've had banks screw up before. They're pretty much limited to putting things right (refunding any fees that shouldn't have been charged, getting the money back into the right accounts, and fixing any lost interest).

Default Re: Is Bank Liable if They Attached a New Debit Card to Wrong Bank Account

Exactly what happened?

If you asked for the replacement of a card that was in your name, attached to an account that was solely in your name, and the bank issued a card in your name but attached to a bank account that was only in your husband's name, that would be difficult to explain -- it's not something that should have happened.

If you went to the bank or called them, indicated that you needed a debit card reissued, and they issued it off of a joint account held by both you and your husband instead of your separate, sole account, that could be a matter of miscommunication. If anything was executed in writing, applications, receipts, confirmation emails, etc., those would likely reflect attachment to the incorrect account -- but we aren't in a position to know what documentation might be available or what any such documentation actually says.

1. Sponsored Links