Default Who Recieves Social Security Benefits for a Spouse in Long-Term Nursing Home Care

If a spouse is in a long term care and medicaid pays for his stay does the wife outside the facility have use of his social security disability if medicaide says he owes nothing for his care.

Default Re: Spouse in Nursing Home

I find it hard to believe that Medicaid is expecting zero share of costs for someone with Social Security disability. I wonder if SSI is still being paid on this case incorrectly which leads to zero share of costs. So I think he does now or will soon owe the facility and may be even overpaid on SSI.

His money is supposed to be spent on him. She has to find another way to support herself, not use her disabled hospitalized husband's funds. Some government agency is going to be asking for money back pretty soon, if this has all been reported correctly or when they find out, which they will.

Default Re: Spouse in Nursing Home

medicaid declares it to be spousal impoverishment, a spouse living outside the facility is allotted a portion of the spouse in the nursing homes income. It is filed with Medicaid every year so they can do a recertification, it goes by their assets and income. They send her a paper saying her amount to pay to the nursing home is 0. I was just wondering of anyone is in the same situation.

its not ssi it is ssd

1. Sponsored Links