Unhappy Ticketed for Failing to Update Driver's License Address and for Speeding

Hi, This question is coming from Orange County, Ca

I was pulled over today and ticketed for 2 offenses

1. Not correctable 14600 (a)- Failure to notify DMV of new address within 10 days.
    - My drivers license doesn't reflect my current address. When I moved I did a change of address on the DMV's website and thought nothing of it. I get mail from the DMV at my residence and I honestly had no idea I had to get a new drivers license as well? (not a good excuse, I know). However, this is marked as "not correctable", but I looked everywhere and don't see too many cases of this. Why is mine non-correctable? Am i stuck both updating my DL at a DMV office and paying the INSANE fine for this, even though the DMV has my address. I have mail from the DMV as proof.

2. 22350 basic speeding- I was doing 62 in 45
    - Not that I plan to, but if I fight this ticket and lose this case. Do I forfeit the ability to go to traffic school to get the point on my record removed? The most important thing is to keep my record clean.

I'm broke and it's almost christmas

I have a completely clean driving record, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Default Re: Not Correctable 14600 (A) and 22350 (Basic Speeding)

Even if the officer marks it not correctable, you can go to court and see if they will treat it as such. Get your license fixed asap and bring it with you.

If you want a guarantee of being able to take traffic school, you should do it prior to going to trial. It is entirely at the court's discretion to allow traffic school if you plead not guilty and go to trial. Note that traffic school will cost you not just the fine but also a $52 adminstrative fee and you need to pay the tuition at whatever school you go to. Payment plans are usually available at the clerk.

If you're telling the truth about changing your address online when you moved, which is a date prior to the citation date, then your were cited incorrectly for 14600(a) vc. You notified the department of the address change so you are good. What you are in violation of is 14600(b) vc, but you weren't cited for that.

(a) Whenever any person after applying for or receiving a driver’s license moves to a new residence, or acquires a new mailing address different from the address shown in the application or in the license as issued, he or she shall within 10 days thereafter notify the department of both the old and new address. The department may issue a document to accompany the driver’s license reflecting the new address of the holder of the license.

(b) When, pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12951, a driver presents his or her driver’s license to a peace officer, he or she shall, if applicable, also present the document issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the driver’s license does not reflect the driver’s current residence or mailing address.
    What you didn't have is that little brown card given out at the DMV (I forget the form number) that you had write your address on. You are supposed to hand that, with your license with the wrong address on it to the officer.

Best thing I can think for you to do is go to the DMV and ask for a printout of your license. Ask the clerk to hi-lite the effective address change date. Go to court and let the officer testify to 14600(a) vc. When it's your turn ask the officer these questions.

"Did you run my license during the stop?"

"Did you notice my address was different than my license that I handed you?"

"And you cited me for 14600(a) vc for not having my physical license updated?"

"Did you happen to notice the DMV address change transaction date on xx/xx/xxxx?"

"Officer, what does 14600(a) vc state someone must do when they move?"

You have him at that point. You already notified the department (DMV) of your address change and you satisfied 14600(a) vc.

Ask him about the speed next, since it's better to show ignorance of something first, then dive into your speed issue.

When it's your turn to address the judge ask the judge to drop your 14600(a) vc in it's entirety because it was improperly issued and ask for all fees associated with it to be dismissed.

(Now if your address change with the DMV ONLY included your updating the address for your vehicle and NOT your license (they are separate transactions), then forget everything I said.)
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Hi Sniper,

Thanks for the detailed response. I went to AAA and got a reissue of the little brown card since I didn't have one prior. But to get a new one I had to do another change of address. In doing so did I screw myself? Or does the DMV keep records of address changes? I plan on a DMV trip this week to update my license anyway,do you think I can get "records" of these change of addresses?

Additionally, I would plead not guilty to that citation, then they would give me a second court date? They wouldn't just proceed right there?

The first court date is the arraignment. You can present your corrected license to the court and decide if you want to plead and go to traffic school, or fight the cite and schedule the matter for trial some weeks or months down the road.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Right, but the OP shouldn't have to show a corrected license (physical copy) at all. The DMV transaction date should satisfy the charge. There should be no reason to pay $36 for a new physical license.
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Always best to present the physical proof (even if not the updated license, though that would certainly help) rather than solely relying on the court to pull up current data. I have seen far too many court cases where the info is incomplete. Not to mention there is the real possibility that the info was not updated online ... having had that happen once to me with regard to vehicle registration, I am constantly wary and save printout receipts of any and all online transactions just in case.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links